Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Noisy Featherweight--looking for ideas >
  • Noisy Featherweight--looking for ideas

  • Noisy Featherweight--looking for ideas

    Old 03-06-2022, 06:53 AM
      #1  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Brynn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 206
    Question Noisy Featherweight--looking for ideas

    I have a Singer 221 I picked up for $50 at an estate sale, knowing full well it'd be a project machine. At this point I have oiled and greased all the appropriate spots, and it spins fairly smoothly. Not perfectly, but I think I need to run it continuously to flush/work out all the debris it picked up while sitting in a dog crate filled with... well, poop. Humphrey has been through the ringer.

    My problem right now is the motor. It spins freely, but makes a loud noise when it does. I took it apart and polished the actuator, cleaned out as much loose debris as possible, and cleaned out the old grease and replaced it with new grease. However, it makes a loud zzzwhir noise when it spins, and spins very very slowly.

    My other Featherweight had its motor completely rebuilt by a guy I found (who sadly is no longer in business), and is almost silent and sews like a dream. I recorded a video comparing the two and showing my debugging. https://youtu.be/RXdIXvQjHCA

    Has anyone encountered a machine this noisy, and fixed it? I haven't replaced the carbon brushes or done much to them, I'm wondering if maybe that would help?
    Brynn is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 07:00 AM
      #2  
    Power Poster
     
    SusieQOH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Location: Central Ohio
    Posts: 15,224
    Default

    I hope the moderators will put this in the vintage category. There are a lot of people there who are knowledgeable about FW's.
    I watched your video and it sure is loud. On the plus side- it looks really nice for everything it's been through.
    I have several FW's but not this problem.
    SusieQOH is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 09:12 AM
      #3  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Brynn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 206
    Default

    Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    I hope the moderators will put this in the vintage category. There are a lot of people there who are knowledgeable about FW's.
    I watched your video and it sure is loud. On the plus side- it looks really nice for everything it's been through.
    I have several FW's but not this problem.
    Is there a different category? I thought this one for vintage enthusiasts was the right one, but maybe not! The machine is generally solid, just needed some TLC, and I want to try to bring it back to working order for someone.
    Brynn is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 10:29 AM
      #4  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Location: Wisconsin
    Posts: 473
    Default

    Have you tried a drop of oil adjacent to the belt pulley of the motor?
    WIChix is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 10:41 AM
      #5  
    Power Poster
     
    SusieQOH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Location: Central Ohio
    Posts: 15,224
    Default

    Brynn- sorry- I thought you had it in the Main category. (not enough coffee when I read it haha)
    SusieQOH is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 02:00 PM
      #6  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Brynn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 206
    Default

    Originally Posted by WIChix
    Have you tried a drop of oil adjacent to the belt pulley of the motor?
    No, do you mean where the motor shaft enters the body of the motor?
    Brynn is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 04:32 PM
      #7  
    Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: Georgetown, Texas
    Posts: 94
    Default

    If you haven't already done so, check www.Singer-Featherweight.com. There are many tutorials on the website and you might find some help with your issues there.
    Bebe2Ten is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 05:24 PM
      #8  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Brynn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 206
    Default

    Originally Posted by Bebe2Ten
    If you haven't already done so, check www.Singer-Featherweight.com. There are many tutorials on the website and you might find some help with your issues there.
    That's where I got all the supplies that got me to this point--sadly they don't have anything related to the noise my motor is making.
    Brynn is offline  
    Old 03-06-2022, 06:44 PM
      #9  
    Super Member
     
    OurWorkbench's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Denver, CO
    Posts: 4,290
    Default

    Doing a search there for "motor maintenance" came up with too many results so I went to Schoolhouse and motor. While they may not directly address the loudness, perhaps the sections on cleaning, lubrication and brushes may help. https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...e/tagged/motor

    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    OurWorkbench is offline  
    Old 03-07-2022, 06:04 AM
      #10  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Brynn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 206
    Default

    Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    Doing a search there for "motor maintenance" came up with too many results so I went to Schoolhouse and motor. While they may not directly address the loudness, perhaps the sections on cleaning, lubrication and brushes may help. https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...e/tagged/motor

    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Thanks! Like I said though, I've followed all those steps except for the brushes; I was hoping someone could at least give me a little hope that the brushes were the culprit. But I've ordered new brushes, so we'll see how we do when they arrive.
    Brynn is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter