Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A noob that needs a little confirmation >

A noob that needs a little confirmation

A noob that needs a little confirmation

Old 04-10-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I agree with bkay. Its not usually that hard to find feet for vintage machines and they are very reasonably priced. I got a walking foot for my Singer 301a (straight stitch only machine) for about $20. You might try sewingpartsonline.com They have parts for vintage Kenmores, but without knowing your model no. I couldn't look up just what they carried.
That is a slant shank machine. I've read that some have had trouble with the walking foot for the early slant shank machines. I think it had something to do with the height of it and presser foot lever hitting it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wayneair View Post
...are screw-on to snap-on adapters a universal thing or machine specific?
Snap on adapters for low shank machines are pretty universal, now. I know years ago I got a cording foot for my Pfaff 1471 as it had a snap on adapter. However, it didn't work with that machine. I kept it anyway. I now have many machines and attachments. I now have the adapters that will work with that foot from a variety of machines.

Most of the sets of feet have an adapter. They are made for zigzag machines, but will work with the straight stitch machines. I noticed that on https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ke...t=desc&index=1 that they have some screw on low shank hemmers in three sizes. They also have a few adapters and feet by themselves, in addition to the sets.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Snap on adapters for low shank machines are pretty universal, now. I know years ago I got a cording foot for my Pfaff 1471 as it had a snap on adapter. However, it didn't work with that machine. I kept it anyway. I now have many machines and attachments. I now have the adapters that will work with that foot from a variety of machines.

Most of the sets of feet have an adapter. They are made for zigzag machines, but will work with the straight stitch machines. I noticed that on https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ke...t=desc&index=1 that they have some screw on low shank hemmers in three sizes. They also have a few adapters and feet by themselves, in addition to the sets.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is the informed kind of info I’ve been looking for.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:38 PM

That is a slant shank machine. I've read that some have had trouble with the walking foot for the early slant shank machines. I think it had something to do with the height of it and presser foot lever hitting it.

what makes it a slant shank machine? I looked at it and I don’t see it angled in any direction...
Old 04-10-2020, 10:17 PM

i took some up close pics of my machine, shank down, with and with out the foot, and without the foot measuring from the screw hole to the deck - which is 1/2”. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20311.html

Last edited by wayneair; 04-10-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by wayneair View Post
what makes it a slant shank machine? I looked at it and I don’t see it angled in any direction...
Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to cashs_mom post at A noob that needs a little confirmation The 301 is a slant shank.

Your machine is a low shank machine,

Old 04-11-2020, 04:21 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to cashs_mom post at A noob that needs a little confirmation The 301 is a slant shank.

Your machine is a low shank machine,

whew...good, i was sweating there for a little while wondering what I had missed and where I missed it. It looked like you were telling cashs_mom that mine was a slant and that was why she couldn’t find my model number because it was an odd machine.... thank you for pointing me in the right direction, thanks to everyone. I have a few foots on the way, they’ll probably get here about the same time as my material.

Last edited by wayneair; 04-11-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:35 AM

Definitely a short shank machine, very very nice! Have fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
Definitely a short shank machine, very very nice! Have fun.
Thank you! Planning on it.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:45 AM

It sounds like you have a gem of a machine. Short shank and screw on feet. I had a Kenmore like this one time. It was a work horse. I grabbed it out of the trash one day and used it exclusively for years until the crank shaft just shattered. I started to learn to quilt on that machine. You should get many years of good use out of this machine.