Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A noob that needs a little confirmation >

A noob that needs a little confirmation

A noob that needs a little confirmation

Old 04-10-2020, 12:21 PM

Default A noob that needs a little confirmation

I was given a Japanese Kenmore 148.392, the metallic blue and chrome on, a number of years ago that I just recently got around to using. For a project that i’m about to start on, I need a walker foot and one that will fold material over. But I have no idea about shank attachments. I know there’s long and short shanks, and screw on and clip on feet. I think I need screw on short shank attachments. I have the printed pdf manual but it doesn’t address this. I want to be sure, as I have no idea if machines that old still use the same attachment methods. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:40 PM

Welcome Wayneair,

A picture of the machine would be quite helpful; Most likley it is screw on. Just look how your current presserfoot goes on.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM

Wow, that's a beauty!
bkay
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM

I was told that it’s possible that I would need machine specific attachments, I need a walking foot, and was told that it’d be much easier to get a new machine.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:10 PM

That's not true. Walking feet cost about $20.00 (or less). I'm not an expert, but it appears that it is a short shank machine. Kenmores can be low shank, high shank or even super high shank. I'd spend an hour or less with Mr. Google to figure out. Here's one link that give some answers. I've seen photos that show you how to measure to make sure. I just didn't find them immediately. I'm slow on the uptake sometimes, so would have to look at several pages to make sure I know what I'm talking about. It's not rocket science, though. I'm just not sure how to measure it without spending an hour looking and I have to cook dinner.
Just google "high shank or low shank?"
Good luck.
bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-10-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM

I certain it’s a short shank, and pretty sure there’s no clipping of anything on the foot, so it’s a screw on. I was told that the attachments were machine specific because it was so old. So the dimensions of ‘short shank’ are fairly universal?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:09 PM

Welcome. It looks like it is a straight stitch only machine. From my understanding there is a walking foot for straight stitch only machines. https://singer-featherweight.com/pro...xtendedDetails While I think that some of the other ones fit on your machine, I believe they are made for zigzag machines which have wider feed dogs.

You mentioned "one that will fold material over" - when I originally read that I thought you meant the same foot/attachment. I don't think there is a walking foot that folds the fabric over at the same time you are stitching, What I believe you are referring to is a narrow hemmer or adjustable hemmer. There are a lot of vintage hemmers for straight stitch machines. There are also modern ones as well. The modern ones should work. Even the snap-on feet will work if you have the adapter for it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:11 PM

I agree with bkay. Its not usually that hard to find feet for vintage machines and they are very reasonably priced. I got a walking foot for my Singer 301a (straight stitch only machine) for about $20. You might try sewingpartsonline.com They have parts for vintage Kenmores, but without knowing your model no. I couldn't look up just what they carried.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-10-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Thank you, narrow hemmer, that’s exactly what I was trying to say, wasn’t sure of the exact nomenclature. While a walking hemmer would be pretty cool, don’t think there would even be an application for it... I have yet to come across one while trying to research and learn everything I can. Want to have what I’ll need before I start actually working on pieces. And yes, it is a straight stitch machine.

are screw-on to snap-on adapters a universal thing or machine specific?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I agree with bkay. Its not usually that hard to find feet for vintage machines and they are very reasonably priced. I got a walking foot for my Singer 301a (straight stitch only machine) for about $20. You might try sewingpartsonline.com They have parts for vintage Kenmores, but without knowing your model no. I couldn't look up just what they carried.

it’s a 148.392. I looked on that site and my model isn’t listed, which leads me to believe that there may be something different about it. Yet there’s no apparent reason a late 1950s simple home machine would have some odd design that differed from the standards of literally every other machine made.