Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Not sure what type of machine this is >

Not sure what type of machine this is

Not sure what type of machine this is

Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Not sure what type of machine this is

I went to an estate sale earlier today and found this. There arent any decals just a metal badge that says Precision Built, Made in Japan. I dont know yet if it works, I have to check the wiring first before I try it. The case also has the lid and it smells musty. The serial number is C12753. Can anyone tell me anything about it? What else do I need to check besides the wiring and oil? Where would the oil go? Regular sewing machine oil? Thanks in advance. Oh and I paid $2 for it and I also got a knock off Ott floor lamp for $3.
Attached Thumbnails 5886_10151704992329940_516502617_n.jpg   17494_10151704992534940_2006458719_n.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Looks nice. I picked up a Precision built Montgomery Ward 15 clone at a Salvation Army.

Use regular sewing machine oil, and it goes in the holes on the top of the machine, and drop some down the presser bar hole, and some of the places underneath the machine need oiled. You can also take the faceplate off and oil the needle bar and any moving parts in there.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM

You have a very nice HA-1 / 15 clone. One of about 16 gazillion made. I have 4 or 5 of them and no two are the same. My first one is made by JUKI. The others ?????

TRI-FLOW, TRI-FLOW, TRI-FLOW, never mind the regular sewing machine oil. Tri-Flow has special solvents in it to loosen and dissolve the oil gummed up oils and it's got PTFE in it which does a really slick job of lubricating.

Oil all the holes on the top of the arm, pull the face plate and oil every thing that moves in there, and tilt the machine back and oil everything that moves under there too. You'll see lots of tiny little holes on the articulating parts under the face plate and on many parts under the bed. These are oil holes.
Check the motor. Where the main shaft is on each end there might be an oil hole there too. Give it a couple good drops of oil if there are holes, but don't flood it.

If you see a J- A with a number under the bed somewhere you generally can tell who made it. Not all of them have one though.

Joe
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Oh, what a pretty face plate! I like the spades!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Where would I get Tri-Flow? When I try to turn it by hand it is very hard but it does turn. I turned it on and tried it and the motor works and the spindle (?) that comes out from it works but it wont turn the handle. Do you know where I can get a manual? I also looked underneath and all we could find was the number 2.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 AM

TripleL,

If you have a bicycle shop near by check with them. Lots of bicyclists use Tri-Flow on their bikes. Or, order some from Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }
You can also get belts and other parts from Sew-Classic as well.

Don't force the machine until you get some oil in it. It sounds gummed up.

Here is a generic manual that will work for 99.5% of the clones. It's free .pdf you can download and print.
{ http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf }

You can use regular sewing machine oil to get it moving, I've done that, but once I get it all cleaned and working I feed it Tri-Flow oil.

Without the J- A there's really no good way to tell who made it. Look on all the bobbin parts, shafts, and other small parts to see if they have numbers on them.

Joe
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

You can also check your local hardware store for Triflow.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM

Triplei, listen good to these people. they really know what they are saying. Okay? Oh, I didn't mean to be sassy. I see you have been on here a while, but just wanted you to know they really are good at what they do.

Last edited by barny; 06-29-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM

You can also check your local hardware store for Triflow.
Caroline's right Tri Flow seems to be getting pretty well known and popular. Every hardware store and auto parts store in my area now carries it.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of no name clones out there. It was probably sent to some store that never got around to putting a name on it. Here is another link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html