Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Now I've gone and done it . . . >

Now I've gone and done it . . .

Now I've gone and done it . . .

Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That is a nice looking car - but I do think my table won't fit once assembled.
Oh goodness no! I don’t know if it would even fit while it’s still disassembled and bundled up!

There are times that I miss my goose-neck stock trailer for hauling things, but the way I’ve taken to hauling old sewing machines home, it’s probably best that I don’t have it any longer.....

Is your Fusion being delivered, or do you have to haul it home?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 AM

It's going to be delivered. At least they were running a "Free shipping" deal now. And since it's being shipped, I saved 2% municipality tax too - only had to pay the 4% to the State.

I also miss our stock trailer, had a 16' straight hitch. Sold it after we sold the horses. We do have a small 4x8 utility trailer, and the 3/4 ton truck with a full 8' bed. But the best machine hauler is our Toyota van, with both rows of back seats out, there is about 4x8 feet of floor space, and things ride much better than in the back of the truck.

We bought it used from FIL back in May, and it's been our main "machine getter" vehicle since.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Jealous no, revolting yes! You brought plastic and computerization into the vintage works. The poor vintage machines will be looking at it like its evil incarnated
I think the vintage machines have too much class to be offended by the plastic/computerization!! If something doesn't work as it should, they might silently smirk a little bitl Have a great day Macybaby and good luck with your teaching.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Don't listen to them. Do what you enjoy. And if you can make a little extra money with it so much the better. Besides, every machine we own was new at some time.
Rodney
I agree I have lots of vintage machines and 2 Husqvarna Designers and an Innova longarm.I like old and new.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:57 AM

I just watched a video and yeah..I want that! I LOVE my vintage machines but for quilting a whole large size quilt, that would be awesum! You can have the best of both worlds and as long as the new computerization didn't turn your head completely around I think you are ok. You can teach others in the shed and when they are ready with a quilt face the new machine can earn it's keep!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Cathy, I have been making small batches of applesauce in my crockpot. Sooo much easier than standing over the stove watching and stirring so it won't scorch. I am freezing the applesauce until I get around to canning it later on. The peels and cores are going into fermentation jars to make apple vinegar this year (an experiment). Gives me more time to sew, quilt and play with my sewing machines!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Caroline I always used to freeze my applesauce and give it to the kids, no worries about jars coming back. But no more applesauce here. Remember the big ice storm a few years ago that broke trees everywhere? Only lost one big branch off my plum and cherry trees but my big old apple tree took a different turn. It completely uprooted and fell over on the house behind me. I had the cherry tree cut down last year so only plums now. Between the neighbor kids and the raccoons this year they ate all the plums in less than two weeks.

Cari
Old 10-11-2014, 03:58 PM
KLO

That Fusion does sound like an awesome machine. Cathy, you have been so good about rescuing so many of those old machines that I don't think they have a right to complain about the new one coming in. They should be grateful for all you have done for them.

CD, tell your wife that I have a four year old Fusion Sport and love it! I traded my Ford 500 in for it as I hated the 500. I always felt like I was sitting on my living couch and it didn't pull out in traffic quickly enough. Bet your wife would not be real thrilled with tying something up on top of her new car even if it was sewing related .... but I could be wrong.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 PM

The discussion of old versus new comes up in other forums I belong to too. There will come a time when Macybaby's new longarm quilter will be considered vintage. Like other machinery there will be the high quality machines that are desirable and the lower quality "junk" machines. The high quality machines will be maintained, restored as needed and appreciated by future lovers of vintage equipment just like we do with the vintage and antique machines we have today.
What I find interesting is the changes in techniques to restore the machines that will have to take place. Where we worry about the japanning on old machines, future restorers will be looking for ways to restore faded and discolored plastic, dealing with issues of brittle plastic and rebuilding circuit boards. Future restorers may be just as excited about the quality of the modern plastic marvels as we are about our old cast iron ladies.
Rodney
Old 10-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Congratulations Cathy! I belong to the HomeQuiltingSystems yahoo group, and most of the people there who have the fusion love it. I will say this: the quilting system machines tend to have less plastic in them than the domestics. I haven't been under the hood of a HQ machine yet, but the APQS in my basement is pretty much all metal other than the belt. They're basically "industrial machines" purpose built.

I find that all of the quilting systems (TinLizzy, APQS, Gammil, HQ) I've played with or researched act and are built more like vintage machines than anything else.