Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Now I've gone and done it . . . >

Now I've gone and done it . . .

Now I've gone and done it . . .

Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM

BEWARE!!! My vintage machines sneak in at night and throw the timing off on my long arm. I haven't figured out which one is the guilty party. But my suspicions are on the 201. She's my piecing machine and I know she gets lonely if I don't use her at least once a week.

The Wheeler & Wilson #9 stands guard at the door to my quilting studio but I've caught him sleeping on the job far too many times.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the warning Christine. I think if I have any problems, it's going to be my Silver 15 leading the group. That one has been my main bobbin winder for the Bailey, which takes the same class 15 bobbins. The new one takes much larger bobbins, and comes with a separate bobbin winder too.

My quilting machine is surrounded by my Singers, and for the most they are all display queens so they don't seem to mind doing nothing but being admired. I keep the working girls upstairs (LOL!!)
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
.... I keep the working girls upstairs (LOL!!)
That’s the way it was back in the gold rush days of the late 1800s, or so I’ve read....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-12-2014, 03:08 PM

good going! Besides if you can make some money with the quilting machine...than you will be able to rescue more old, vintage, needy machines.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
That’s the way it was back in the gold rush days of the late 1800s, or so I’ve read....

CD in Oklahoma
rotflol!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Cathy a couple of months ago I bought 2 brand new computerized Pfaffs. A Passport 2.0 because it has the built in walking foot/IDT & a Quilter's Expression 4.2, has IDT and 10" of throat space. I can't take my Bernina anywhere, its just to heavy, the Passport is a mere 13 lbs.
I still use my treadle machines and featherweights.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 10-12-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Cathy, I have been making small batches of applesauce in my crockpot. Sooo much easier than standing over the stove watching and stirring so it won't scorch. I am freezing the applesauce until I get around to canning it later on. The peels and cores are going into fermentation jars to make apple vinegar this year (an experiment). Gives me more time to sew, quilt and play with my sewing machines!
I make apple sauce in my pressure cooker. All I have to do is cut out the cores and stems and 1/4 the apples.
3 minutes cooking time.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
What I find interesting is the changes in techniques to restore the machines that will have to take place. Where we worry about the japanning on old machines, future restorers will be looking for ways to restore faded and discolored plastic, dealing with issues of brittle plastic and rebuilding circuit boards. Future restorers may be just as excited about the quality of the modern plastic marvels as we are about our old cast iron ladies.
Rodney
And with 3D printing...by the time these new machines are classics, you might be able to just dial up the plastic parts you need and print off fresh ones, in whatever color you like.