Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
oh no!  I am a machine with no attachments! >

oh no! I am a machine with no attachments!

oh no! I am a machine with no attachments!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Default oh no! I am a machine with no attachments!

Nothing I have fits my Household! It's got the same offset and oval needle plate as my Domestic. I've got lots of extra Domestic feet, and though things line up correctly, the presser bar on the Household does not go up far enough. The Domestic feet are tall feet!

The Domestic has feet that slip up on the presser bar, the Household is intended to have top clamp feet.

I also discovered that my Eldredge "B" is not as old as I hoped. It takes the newer "national" size shuttle instead of the older "eldredge" style shuttle. However the bed screw is located in a slightly different spot than the newer National machines, so I have one set of attachments that fits it correctly.

And I still have one set that I don't know what it fits. The throat plate is the same width as the national, but the needle circle would be just a fraction of an inch farther to the left. The feet also have just a slight offset to the needle hole too. This set may fit the Davis for the offset, but the shirr and underbaider won't.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM

All those goodies you got, and you DON'T have any for THAT machine!?!?!?!?

Wellllllll, more searching and seeking for you to do .

I'm not helping, am I?

Joe
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM

This company made machines from 1890-1906. So I don't expect to find them in a newer style set.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Cool! Now you have all the reasons you need to keep searching for attachments and more machines to fit the attachments you have. I think you're going to discover there's always one more set or machine that you don't have.
I really wish I could see your collection in person.
Rodney
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Rodney - that is the danger! I see other neat machines and . . . just as soon as I get my list pared down and my husband thinks there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I "discover" something else.

I think I've got to be careful that I'm not getting machines that are a bit too "old" for what I was after.

I'm trying to get my stuff sorted and arranged, and I got "stuck" on the Household - time to set that one aside and move on. Got the New Home group to go through and then I've got through all of them.

From what I can tell, the New Home and National VS machines can use the same needles. The new home has a shorter shank area than the National, but the overall length and other dimensions seem to be the same. So far I've found New Home needles in the National machines, and National Needles in the New Home machines, so I figure that bears that out.

BTW - I have way more sets of New Home attachments than I have machines for.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Macybaby;

1) Name the machine Buddha.

2) Practice non-attachment.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Finding the correct needle for the older machines seems to be an art in itself. So far I've been lucky in acquiring machines that use the standard 15x1 needle system. We do have a Brunswick labeled VS machine in storage that I haven't started on yet. I'm hoping regular needles fit it too.
Rodney
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Macybaby;

1) Name the machine Buddha.

2) Practice non-attachment.

Good one Cecelia
Rodney
Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Finding the correct needle for the older machines seems to be an art in itself. So far I've been lucky in acquiring machines that use the standard 15x1 needle system. We do have a Brunswick labeled VS machine in storage that I haven't started on yet. I'm hoping regular needles fit it too.
Rodney
Rodney, I have a Brunswick VBS and it takes the 20X1 but I have cheated down a 15X1 and it works fine.
PS: there is a modern needle that will work but it is round shank and I can't remember the no. but it works fine so they say. I will dig thru my records and find it for you.
Skip

Last edited by Glenn; 02-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Hmm that's a surprise Cathy, you don't have an attachment for a machine. Another reason to get some more attachments.