Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help >

OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help

OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Well my favorites for repairing? or for sewing on? It does matter...
Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Also, what TYPE if sewing you do leads to preference differences. As a quilter i PREFER certain machines to others. But, I would certainly need different machines if I did canvas or leather work or even different types of garment construction or heirloom sewing.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Also, what TYPE if sewing you do leads to preference differences. As a quilter i PREFER certain machines to others. But, I would certainly need different machines if I did canvas or leather work or even different types of garment construction or heirloom sewing.
exactly - also there is a difference between working on them and sewing on them.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM

I love my 301s. I wouldn't let it go back. I'm sure it is fixable.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM

I just purchased my 3rd 301A. It is the only machine that I have muitiples of, so far!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Alrighty then here we go I have cleaned, oiled, replaced needle with actual Singer needle not made for singer ones. I got all of 3 stitches and then it just went in the same stitch as though the feed dogs stopped working (first birds nest). Rethreaded, pulled out the pieces of thread that got stuck, now got 5 stitches same thing. Rechecked the bobbin and casing no burrs that I can see. Tried again this is the point when I actually changed the needle got about 7 stitches (oddly they were different sizes) then it jammed and can't get it to sew now at all. I did try to loosen the bobbin tension because I think it's just too tight, no matter what screw driver I tried I can not get it to turn, you know how when you have the thread end in your hand and the bobbin case is suppose to be suspended but not fall it wasn't budging a millimeter. I want to get her going so badly but no matter what I try it's now stuck, so I just wonder if it would be best to take her in to a professional and let them go ahead and service her. I feel like that is giving up but now that I can't even turn the hand wheel I just don't know what to do. Oh and yes the take up lever was in the highest position each time I tried to sew. By the way this is a portable, also can anyone tell me what is the major difference between the 301 and the 301A?? Other than the slanted needle is there any difference, I have an opportunity to get a tan 301A and was just wondering. I wish I could make a video and post it so you all can see what I am going through. I am not planning on giving her up I would just like to see her in action.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Well my favorites for repairing? or for sewing on? It does matter...
Which for sewing, like piecing? Gee Miriam I thought you had a lot of machines before, wow lucky you.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
I have 2 of them and I use them almost exclusively for mu quilt piecing. I just bought a replacement cord and rewired the footpedal for the newest one because of exposed wires. That really isn't hard. Hope you get the problems worked out.
Where did you get the cord, was it at sew classic?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM

ArchaicArcane I did check the tension disk, made sure they're nice and clean set them according to the manual while I was trying to get her to sew. Unfortunately posting a pic at this point would be futile due to the fact it's not sewing at all now. But even before that happened they were just a couple of stitches before it would get stuck. I will be fixing the cord, currently I have it plugged into a power strip so if anything went wrong I could have turned it off quickly. The only reason I am hesitant to tinker with her is because I killed my beautiful treadle (at least I can't get her to sew anymore, unfortunately the man that worked on machines in my area passed away last year before he could fix it for me).
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

What did you do to the treadle to kill it? I used a sledge hammer on a T&S and it is for sure dead.

You may need to adjust the thumb screw at the very top of your sewing machine - it adjusts the foot pressure. If you put a piece of material under your pressure foot can you pull it out? Or you may have the feed dogs dropped.