Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Old Singer purchase

My dad called me a couple of weeks ago and said they were previewing an estate sale and they had an old Singer. He wanted to know if I wanted it for $50. He couldn't tell if there was a decal, and couldn't find a model number. We knew it wasn't a FW, so I told him I'd pass. He gave me the address, and I said I'd look on the weekend and see if they still had it.

We went back on Saturday, and some time the machine had been marked down to $30. Saturday was 1/2 price day, so we could have it for $15. I decided to take it and see if I could refurbish it and resell it.

I've looked for pictures, and I think it's a 27. I looked on the Singer site, but couldn't tell anything by the SN. I must be missing something.

If anyone has any info on this machine, I'd welcome your expertise.

Thanks,

Darren

At one time it had the Sphinx decal
    Name:  Attachment-195568.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  91.3 KB

The inspection plates are interesting.
    Name:  Attachment-195569.jpe
Views: 62
Size:  87.5 KB

It came with a bunch of attachments, but what are they?
    Name:  Attachment-195570.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  42.3 KB

SN has been no help so far.
    Name:  Attachment-195572.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  72.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I don't know machines, but the attachment in the middle is a ruffler. I just got a FW but its off getting all pretty at the sewing machine Dr's. I can't wait to play with her and all her parts!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    My dad called me a couple of weeks ago and said they were previewing an estate sale and they had an old Singer. He wanted to know if I wanted it for $50. He couldn't tell if there was a decal, and couldn't find a model number. We knew it wasn't a FW, so I told him I'd pass. He gave me the address, and I said I'd look on the weekend and see if they still had it.

We went back on Saturday, and some time the machine had been marked down to $30. Saturday was 1/2 price day, so we could have it for $15. I decided to take it and see if I could refurbish it and resell it.

I've looked for pictures, and I think it's a 27. I looked on the Singer site, but couldn't tell anything by the SN. I must be missing something.

If anyone has any info on this machine, I'd welcome your expertise.

Thanks,

Darren
    Darren,

According to the serial number it was made in 1898. I don't know what model number it is tho. Good luck finding that out. Not bad for 113 years old.

Thanks for sharing,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

Blog Entries
    This site might help you visually identify the model:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14

Wow. Looks like a nice find.

Yep...pre 1900 - here's a link to the Singer serial nos.
    http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

That gadget looks like a ruffler to me and from what I can see of the attachments they are in pretty good condition.

You Americans are terribly spoilt you know :) your vintage machines are so cheap compared to what they are here in Australia....I never tire of seeing all your amazing finds.

Blog Entries
    I've never understood how those bobbin winders work? they are called shuttles or something aren't they? nice find,

wesing, it is not a model 27. My mom had a 27 and it did not have the ornate access plates. They were plain. That is a ruffler attachment. I've used one many times. They work great. I don't remember the decals really well on the 27, but I don't think it was the sphinx. The 27 was made about 1908, yours is older. Back in the 30s and 40s people were putting motors on their old machines. My grandmother did this to hers. Yours has the motor added so could be converted back to a treadle.

The bobbin is what I call a 'straight' bobbin. You slide it into a shuttle (shaped like a space rocket) and then slide it into the shuttle holder. Do you have the shuttle and a bobbin or 2? Where is the tension located? That could help identify the model.

But Billy or Glenn will know more than I do. Great find.

Blog Entries
    I came across this video yesterday when I was looking for featherweight stuff, I saved it because it was really interesting. I didn't realize these old machinces used a shuttle like that! Anyways, it tells how to wind the shuttle.

How to wind a Singer sewing machine long bobbin and load the shuttle the correct way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PhAT--SKM

Your old girl was originally a treadle that someone converted with a motor. Great find!!

What a fabulous find! Yes, you have a true antique (pre-1900) as opposed to a vintage machine. Go to the vintage machines thread here on the board and you will find tons of info. That is also where lostn51 (Billy) hangs out and he is the most knowledgeable person I know of when it comes to the old machines. He helped me identify mine.

Wow.... cool machine. Yes, it's a long bobbin machine. Can't tell without seeing a picture of the whole head/face... if it's 3/4 size or full sized. I would check out the ISMACS website, to look at dates, which machines were manufactured when in the Singer lineup. Being that old, it's not the 'newer' Vibrating Shuttle machine, has to be earlier than that with a S/N dating to 1898.

The Sphinx decals were very popular and used on a lot of different Singers. It's interesting to me, that the feet are side clampers, it's got the bobbin winder mech. low down on the pillar, add on motor for sure. Awesome spoke wheel.

I'd say you found a beauty. And like someone else said, treadle her. Also, post some more pics if you can.... that show the whole machine?

Power Poster
    She's an oldie, but a goodie!
    Have fun with her!

Blog Entries
    The site I looked at indicated 1874. You'll get more info if you post a question here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1038.htm#3221299

Blog Entries
    wow you have a great find there thanks for sharing

Banned
    It looks like a Model 27 or 28 just from looking at the rear of the machine. I have several of them and I have not seen that type of inspection plate before so I am thinking it was replaced with another manufacturers sometime in its long life. The 28 is a 3/4 machine and the 27 is full sized. The bed length on a full sized machine is just over 14". The bobbins can be found at Hancocks or Jo Anns and they will look like little barbells, and it will use the standard 15x1 needle.

Either way you have a nice piece of history in your hands and if I were you I would pull the motor off of it slap it back in the treadle and make a quilt with it. :thumbup:

Billy

Billy -

Thanks for chiming in. I want to do your clean-up on it and see how it looks. As for the treadle, it came with a box case like it was always portable, but I guess it's pretty certain it hasn't always been electric. Any suggestions about where/how to find a treadle cabinet for it?

Thanks,

Darren

Blog Entries
    You can sometimes find cabinets with no machine or really bad condition machines on Craigslist. I have seen some on there, and in your area should be fairly affordable.

Here are a couple more pics. I haven't really looked at this thing yet, so I don't even know if it has a bobbin or shuttle. According to the site I looked at (link on page 1 by QuiltnCowgirl) this is a Model 27.

Whole machine with pedal
    Name:  Attachment-196010.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  58.4 KB

Tension
    Name:  Attachment-196011.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  62.9 KB

More attachments
    Name:  Attachment-196012.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  36.8 KB

OK so I guess I do have bobbins
    Name:  Attachment-196013.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  39.4 KB

Very cool accessories/bobbins....All the best in the search for a treadle base.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Billy -

Thanks for chiming in. I want to do your clean-up on it and see how it looks. As for the treadle, it came with a box case like it was always portable, but I guess it's pretty certain it hasn't always been electric. Any suggestions about where/how to find a treadle cabinet for it?

Thanks,

Darren
    Just keep an eye out at estate sales and Craigs List, between those two you should find one fairly easily. The nice thing about the treadle is the fact that if you get another machine with it you can swap them out. One treadle and lots of machines!!

Billy

I just bought a treadle base and cabinet at a garage sale today for $15, it didn't have a machine, which works for me (I had a machine w/o a base)...... just keep looking and one will pop up if you want to convert her back to her original power source.

I have two of sphinx model 27's, both treadles and I love them, I'm also blessed enough to have two full sets of attachments, 2 original English and one German manual, and about 12 bobbins. If you can't find bobbins let me know and I'll sell you some of them. Also let me know if you need me to scan the manual for you. They are wonderful to work on, I hope you get yours back in working order!

Cheryl