Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Old Singer

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277

    Old Singer

    I bought this at GoodWill the other day and cannot find information on the serial number anywhere. Can anyone help? It runs but I need info on how to thread it, the bobbin, etc.
    Thanks for your help.Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  51.1 KBName:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  48.3 KB

    The number on the plate is G1351317

  2. #2
    Muv
    Muv is offline
    Senior Member Muv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    820
    Hello Sunnye,

    The serial number is for 1911. Please go my Youtube channel for threading instructions - link below.

    If you haven't got a front slide plate you can get one from http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk and I expect other members will give you links for parts in the USA.

    You might find my blog helpful too. You will find information under separate headings listed on the right hand side of the blog.

    Good luck getting the machine up and running!

  3. #3
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I bought this at GoodWill the other day and cannot find information on the serial number anywhere. Can anyone help? It runs but I need info on how to thread it, the bobbin, etc.
    The number on the plate is G1351317
    Hi, I found this...
    G- 1338751 thru 1373750. Model 27. 35,000 numbers allocated on June 28 1911.
    So, if I am right, you have a Singer 27 built somewhere in the 1911's. The next set of numbers allocated for the 27 was September 18, 1911.

    I don't know about a manual. Have you checked ISMACS? If it is not there, perhaps someone else on the board can point you to a source for the manual.

  4. #4
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Singer: { http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals } has Model 27 manuals on free .pdf downloads.

    Joe

  5. #5
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,649
    Nice machine. I love the decals.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Hello Sunnye,

    The serial number is for 1911. Please go my Youtube channel for threading instructions - link below.

    If you haven't got a front slide plate you can get one from http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk and I expect other members will give you links for parts in the USA.

    You might find my blog helpful too. You will find information under separate headings listed on the right hand side of the blog.

    Good luck getting the machine up and running!
    Muv,
    Thank you so much. Loved your videos. Very useful.
    I do have the front plate, I had just taken it off.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Singer: { http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals } has Model 27 manuals on free .pdf downloads.

    Joe
    Thanks Joe! Now if I can just figure out the directions given!!!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Thanks nygal. I love the sphinx on it. Now I have to work on cleaning her up. My husband thinks I'm crazy.

  9. #9
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Thanks Joe! Now if I can just figure out the directions given!!!
    Very simple. When that page opens simply type 127 into the box to the left of the "Search" button, then click on the search button.
    When that page opens click on the first "Free Download" and sit back and wait as it downloads your manual.

    Joe

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Abingdon, MD
    Posts
    1,659
    Nice looking machine, love the decals.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Very simple. When that page opens simply type 127 into the box to the left of the "Search" button, then click on the search button.
    When that page opens click on the first "Free Download" and sit back and wait as it downloads your manual.

    Joe
    I'll try tomorrow. Too late tonight. Thanks again!

  12. #12
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Definitely be sure go look at Muv's blog and the little hands will show you how to make that bobbin shuttle work!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Very simple. When that page opens simply type 127 into the box to the left of the "Search" button, then click on the search button.
    When that page opens click on the first "Free Download" and sit back and wait as it downloads your manual.

    Joe
    Joe, those instructions are for a round bobbin case. My machine has a capsule, or whatever it's called.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Joe, I found the instructions for a machine with a capsule bobbin. My problem is understanding those instructions. They're not really very detailed but I'll figure it out...I hope!

  15. #15
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.bl...bin%20machines I found it on
    Muv's blog - she has all kinds of info about the long bobbin machines. Very good illustration how to set up the thread in the bobbin.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  16. #16
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Sunnye,

    The 27-28, 127-128 are VS (vibrating shuttle) machines. If you got round bobbin instructions you didn't put in the correct model number.

    As for the instructions, sometimes they are too simple for us modern folks who are used to very complex things. Remember back in the old days education was reading, riting and rithmatic. Machinery was simple. So channel your GGGrandmom and it will come to you.

    Joe

  17. #17
    Super Member LynnVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,336
    I love the way this community chimes in with everything you need! Happy for you on your find.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southeast Georgia
    Posts
    2,526
    This looks almost identical to my 27. She belonged to my grandmother and was made in 1907. She sews like a dream and I absolutely love to sew quilt pieces together on her. Stops and starts on a dime! Tell DH that you aren't crazy. You will love her, for sure!

  19. #19
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    37,633
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, youve got yourself a cute little girl there. Best of luck with her. What's her name?

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Wow, youve got yourself a cute little girl there. Best of luck with her. What's her name?
    No name yet; I'm waiting till I get her cleaned up and learn about her.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.bl...bin%20machines I found it on
    Muv's blog - she has all kinds of info about the long bobbin machines. Very good illustration how to set up the thread in the bobbin.
    Oh, wow, thank you. I had missed this when I looked at her blog the first time!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.