Is this one I should get?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 AM

Default Is this one I should get?

Even if I have NO ROOM or really no fun funds?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/atq/4114079141.html
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 AM

If you really want a treadle, it's definitely a good price for the machine and it looks to be in half way decent condition.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 AM

If you don't have room or the money then no. That can easily take away the delight and cause family stress or buyers remorse. Unless you want it badly enough to move something to make room for it. Do you need it? Would you sew with it? Are you a collector and just want it? Are you thinking to clean it up add missing parts and resell it? Lots of reasons to buy also. Sorry I've been no help whatsoever.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM

yes grab it
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
If you don't have room or the money then no. That can easily take away the delight and cause family stress or buyers remorse. Unless you want it badly enough to move something to make room for it. Do you need it? Would you sew with it? Are you a collector and just want it? Are you thinking to clean it up add missing parts and resell it? Lots of reasons to buy also. Sorry I've been no help whatsoever.
that IS helpful. it's the voice of reason. It's a GREAT deal, a steal I'm sure but really, chances are it would sit here until I have time to play with it. I don't foresee any "playtime" for about...oh...the next 15 years.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 AM

It is a great price, and if you had time and desire to sand and re-oil or varnish the cabinet and spiff up the machine, then I would absolutely say YAY! But, and I cannot believe I am going to be sensible...

1) You can't rescue every one.
2) There will be others.

As Sunflowerzz alluded, yes, if you have too many, you can feel snowed-under, obliged-to-tend-to-it, and you can feel badly that you are "falling behind" or "not accomplishing".

I would say give it a miss. HOWEVER, I might be tempted to send a sincere message saying that if they do not sell it and if they decide to pitch it, you will happily adopt it in order to save it from landfill or deconstruction. This is not to try to weasle a free machine, but honestly, if someone is going to put it in the dump then I'd say you can feel good about adopting it.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM

I asked if the belt was there amongst the extras and he said "yes, and even another with the looks of leather" lol...I asked where he got the machine. we'll see....
I agree, no need to bring them all home, at least not now.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM

I always have to tell myself, "It's JUST a thing. It's not alive. Yes, it's pretty, yes it's a good deal (if it is), yes I want it," but if I said yes to every THING my child wanted regardless of non-monetary costs, I'm just teaching him that coveting and instant gratification are okay. These are not living beings; they don't have feelings. The minute I start believing they somehow do, I'm just being foolish.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM

As for this PARTICULAR machine, you're not sure it works, at the very least it would probably need new wiring for safety reasons, (more money), the cabinet has a rough finish. Let's just say I've seen better for the money--and you will, too.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Oh MY! I would have to have that one! She surely is pretty

delma