Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Opinion(s) Needed - Could This Singer Treadle Work Again? >

Opinion(s) Needed - Could This Singer Treadle Work Again?

Opinion(s) Needed - Could This Singer Treadle Work Again?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM

It is a lovely machine in need of some TLC, I am sure you will work wonders with it. I think that light needs to come off though - good thing that there is a piece of fabric between the clamp and the machine. The stickies - as mentioned - will guide you through; don't rush it.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Thank you for restoring this machine. I love the 115, and this example really isn't in terrible shape.
I enjoy the process of cleaning, oiling, and helping it stitch again.
Substitutes for a leather belt include screen spline and aquarium tubing. Leather belts come in two different diameters, if you decide to try an alternative, pick a size that is similar.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 AM

Everyone on this thread, thank you so much for your encouragement and understanding. I also cannot stand to see a piece of history just thrown away - I love these old machines. Even if it was beyond saving, I would keep her. And, when I looked up the serial number it said "82", but as I looked further at Singer 82's, there is no way this could be that machine. I'm grateful for your feedback on model number. If the mice hadn't shredded the manual, I would know for sure. (sigh). I will follow all videos and threads to restore this. I honestly feel like restoring these machines is good for the soul and mind. I feel truly blessed to have found this board - like minded folks that care about preserving our history. Some people think I'm crazy. I feel this same way about quilts! I have 40+ that will never find their use as a lawn drop cloth, kennel padding, etc. I love each of them - rips and all. Thank you for not thinking I'm crazy, like some folks do. We all have our missions in life - sewing machines and quilts are my rehab mission.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 AM

Ahhh you made a jump there my neighbor to the North. Just because a manual is in a cabinet does not mean it is actuallly for that machine. Some have found manuals for three machines in the same drawer. And BTW, the 115 was not made in the huge numbers that many models were.

I've picked up VSMs in Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Mississippi. a few have come to see me from Texas. (thanks again bkay) I may be forgetting a state or two. I donated my 115 to the Vintage Sewing museum in Tulsa.

Yes, we have the addictions too.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Excited to see you start your journey, please continue to document it here, we love watching the process.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Well, off to a sad start (but I will press on!) I took the light/clamp off, and what I thought was old fabric underneath the clamp turned out to be layers of bandaging tape. Years of thick adhesive "baking" onto the machine - it pulled the gold foil lettering and design right off. I don't think there is a solvent made that would have taken off the super sticky tape without damaging the foil. (sigh) You would think removing the light would be fairly painless, but lesson #1: expect the unexpected. Will keep you posted!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnInspiredMess View Post
I don't think there is a solvent made that would have taken off the super sticky tape without damaging the foil. (sigh)
If there is any residue left from the tape, try some sewing machine oil on a cloth wrapped over it to keep the oil on it overnight. It may not work with every adhesive, but I was able to soften and remove the remains of a glued on magnetic pin cushion off of my Necchi Nora that way.

You have a very pretty machine!

K