ORANGE sewing machine

Old 12-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Yep, I'd say that's brown with the camera having the white balance off or some other setting that's making the machine look orange.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 AM

It is a brown "Godzilla" and looks to be a 15. Looks in good shape.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
It is a brown "Godzilla" and looks to be a 15. Looks in good shape.
Don't be fooled. That is so not a Singer 15. There are some older machines that do have the tension on the end but if you saw the end, it is different. The hand wheel may run in reverse on this one, too. Also you see the bobbin winder down there. There could be an internal motor on this machine or an external like that one. They also take special needles. I have seen those machines in good shape, too - maybe nobody used them much.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 AM

I was wondering if it took special needles. We need some kind of database for the special needle machines.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM

I've got a line on another in the same general area - had been posted on craigslist a month ago. Emailed and got a response that it's still available.

This one is a black New Home -but the same basic machine. Very nice cabinet too - so if all goes well it will be mine in a week.

The most distinguishing feature of this style is the long rectangular needle plate with two holes in it. Those holes are what the shirr plate and under braider hook into. After messing around with so many attachment sets, I've found sometimes the easiest way to tell who the MFG is on top clamp machines - look at how the shirr plate attaches.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM

I suspect it is really the bronzish brown one, but the flash makes it look orange. Saw this happen with a brown godzilla Kenmore.

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-15074697.html

this is a different color. really does not look bad. it would cost me more to ship it too me than the machine. can someone tell me what this is? other than a Free Westinghouse.
thank you
Old 12-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-15074697.html

this is a different color. really does not look bad. it would cost me more to ship it too me than the machine. can someone tell me what this is? other than a Free Westinghouse.

thank you
The shipping to Oregon, and the price brings the total to $44.06. Not a bad price if I were in the market. My DD loves orange things so I sent her the link.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:58 AM

It's a Model 15 clone, USA made in Rockford, Illinois, a piece of American manufacturing history. It is straight stitch only. I think it has a reverse. I'm thinking that the straight stitch will probably do as small as 30 stitches to an inch, which makes it great for piecing quilts, IMHO. I have two similar clones and they are wonderful.

Does it have a bobbin case? I don't see one and it could be hard to find, or not. I see it has bobbins. It may be hard to find more of those bobbins.

I don't see a way to drop feed dogs, which means it will not free motion quilt UNLESS you have a Stoppax attachment, available on e-bay from time to time for about $60. The Stoppax attachment will let any machine free motion quilt; I've tried it on many machines, mostly vintage.

I don't see a belt in the pictures. Does anyone? It will not be hard to find a belt for it.

It may need to be rewired (I don't see any obvious issues; in fact, it looks like it has been rewired) but it will be a dependable machine and should be a pleasure on which to sew. You will have to do some cleaning, oiling, and lubing but, overall, it looks good and cleaner than most.

It will last forever. It most likely has all metal parts. All you have to do is keep it oiled and lubed. It is a machine worth having. It would be a bargain at $60.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Go for it!

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Look carefully. It is NOT a clone.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM

If it was a clone, I'd have no interest in it. Not that there is anything wrong with clones, just not what I'm after.