Peek in the past (sewing box)

Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM
pal

I use the pink paperclip thing to hold my crocheted granny squares together. Thought the white rings were to hang curtains on round curtain rods - but now I can see them on crocheted pot holders - wow, a blast from the past!!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Looks like the plastic thimble was an advertising thimble and the others look well loved. They are so much fun sometimes you find them with holes wore through the top where the needle was used so much in one spot and yes the lighter weight metals did conform to the wearer.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM

I love buying old sewing boxes in estate sales and poking through the contents. You found some treasures! What did the box itself look like? I think the white rings were used to crochet around as well. My grandmother crocheted around the ring to make hangers for hot pads.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 PM

The black wooden egg was also for repairing the fingertips of gloves. Most gloves in the 50's were hand sewn and the handle on wooden egg was used to insert into the fingertips of gloves that needed repair. If you notice the wooden handle also has worn spots. The large red handled plier looking tool is for mounting snaps onto clothing (like the western shirts have). Some of those snaps are pearl looking on top or open ringed. The small needles with points at both ends are used for knitting socks. It usually took 3 or for to make the sock round. What a treasure you got. I agree that this would be a great shadow box for your wall with pictures of the owners on the background. One of the things that I have done is take a small plastic shoe box for each one of my grandchildren and put an item that was owned and used by their ancestors. I include a note with each item and a picture of whom it belonged to. It was a small way for my grandchildren to get to know the greats that never met. It also kept the box small so the could store the memories easily. These items would be great for that.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Alvastitcher= the box itself is a large, clear plastic box, nothing that special. Handle had broken off. Inside has two removable trays.
Dotte: Thank's for your desc. of glove repair and the desc. of sharing an item with the grandchildren. (I don't yet have grandchildren, but hope to some day!)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Sock darner --- I still darn --my support hose cost $300 so I darn! Button hook for the old fashioned shoes with buttons? Are you selling the darning thread?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM

I just had a birthday, but this makes me feel REALLY old. I recognized everything, even knitted with double-pointed needles and used the stitch holder for knitting cables. While the curling iron, button hooks and darning egg are certifiably old, several of the other things can be purchased today in any craft store.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Well, my goodness, the interest in this sewing box of goodies just keeps growing...and no, my purpose wasn't to try to sell any of it; just to figure out what a couple of the things were. I googled darning thread to see if it's still available, and plenty came up for sale. If it were something that was no longer found, then I'd be willing to sell it. I think keeping the contents as a keepsake is fine for now.

Yes, I agree with gramma nancy, plenty of the things are "modern" and most items were familiar to me. So don't feel too old. The stories shared as to various uses were quite enlightening and paint a vivid picture in my mind. Thank you all!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM

The curling iron may have been used to press ribbons to put in little girls' hair.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM

I made some 'string art' pictures using fine wire. I pounded small nails in a board according to the pattern and then wound the wire around the nails. I remember making a fish and a semi tractor. . My husband drove an 18-wheeler.

The wire could also have been used for flower bouquets.

Connie