Peek in the past (sewing box)

Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Default Cobone rings

Rings similar to the white ones you show are also called "cabone" rings and are used in evenly spaced rows on the backs of Roman shades. The uplift cords run through the rings making it possible for the shade to fall into pleats as it's raised.

I have several packs of them in my sewing basket waiting (oh so patiently) for me to make Roman blinds. LOL Like that is ever going to happen.

I love old sewing notions, tools, supplies, and baskets, too! What tales they could tell.

Last spring I stumbled upon an estate sale at a "sweet little Grandma house" filled with "sweet little Grandma things." Just walking through the house made me wish I had known her.

I had only 40 minutes before closing, and all the marked items were 50% off. I bought six Arcoroc Ruby Red sherbet glass, to go with my Old Country Roses china, for $3 total. I wanted to look though several boxes of fabric and trims in the front bedroom but they had been pretty well ravaged - some people have no respect.

I could see the edge of a huge decorative tin container on top of a chifforobe. It was a Sunshine Biscuit Tin decorated with Currier And Ives scenes. Since this room had all sorts of material and crafting items I just knew this had to hold sewing items. It did - in spades!

I don't want to "hijack" and will post photos of a few of the "jewels" I found in a separate thread - but I did get a vintage pair of Fiskars 9" shears marked "Fiskars Finland 80" on both blades and stamped with the owner's initials. There were also several thimbles including an open-top tailor's thimble stamped "England," and a pre-WWII thimble stamped "Germany." Everything, including the tin, was $2.50. I cannot believe that members of the family did not want these precious, historical, and useful items.

I am enjoying your sewing basket treasures as much as mine!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM

I wonder if she used that curling iron to iron wrinkles out of ribbon, curls in collars or skirt hems.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM

When my mother was small, my grandmother heated the curling iron in the chimney of a kerosene lamp.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Wow, cobone rings (again I'm learning) and heating a curling iron in chimney of a kerosene lamp. Wonderful tidbits from your stories. Thank you!!!