Pfaff 130

Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM

I got it working sweeeeeet! Took me about 8 hours of work total, but even with the piddly motor it has on it, it seems like a great machine. I'm going to give it a FMQing work out and see if I like it.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by mtpockets1 View Post
That's a great price! They showw these machines on industrial tables with clutch motors. That would definitely give you more power. Here's a link http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/art/3384965390.htm
Just got a Pfaff 30 and the paint looks very similiar. I tried using the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and it came out much better but within a day or two lots of the cloudiness came back. Will try the compound again and then use the Ultimate Quik Wax to see if it must be protected to stay looking black. Hope you have as much fun as I did! Congrads on the new project!

Lisa
Lisa, there's a tutorial on how to redo the shellac. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5715116 Maybe that's something you're up to? Mine looks much better with just a cleaning and oiling. I don't know if I'll go that route, as I still have to refinish the table it's in. I think I will keep the table. I typically don't want them and try to make my machines portable. But, this beast will never be a portable!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Candace,
I will check that out and see. I know I can't really do too much damage!!!! Thanks for the link. Make sure we get pictures when you are done.

Lisa
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Here it is all cleaned up and running. Now on to the cabinet...
Attached Thumbnails img_8122.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 AM

Nice job Candace!! I was keeping my eyes open for one of these, no real luck yet tho...have seen a couple on Craig's list, but they wanted $1000!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Well, it sews sooo smoothly. Vintage Pfaffs really are on a premier level. I'm so used to the typical black, vintage Singers and Pfaffs are just a level above. I did try some FMQing with it and need to try a few more darning feet. So far, it's not my best FMQing Pfaff, for sure, but before I cross it out I want to try a few more set-ups of feet and pressure on the foot.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM

I restore old machines and I picked up a Pfaff 130 a few weeks ago that was in poor shape as was the cabinet. I couldn't get the stitch width to free up. Not the knob, but the internal part that slides in the channel. I kept oiling it and letting it set and working it in. This morning it was still sticking but not as much so I threw a motor on it and ran it. I was hoping to get it to free up. It is still sticking a little with the width set to the widest setting. Binding actually. Have I missed something? Here is a picture of my poor gal as I got her home. Oh, and I HATE Tape!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382870[/ATTACH]
I have cleaned her up a bit but I have the same problem with the finish clouding up on me too. I'm getting close to figuring that out though.
~Grant~
Attached Thumbnails img_8604.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM

The finish on yours looks to be in better condition than mine and seem to have a bit better decals too. And mine cleaned up great, so just keep at it. I worked on mine for a few days and it was really bound up. I resorted to squirting some liquid wrench inside the machine, in the dial area as well. Though, yours looks like it still needs cleaning around the dials. All that dried, gummy residue needs to come off. Just make sure you clean up any spills on the paint from the liquid wrench and don't get it on the belts. It worked immediately for me. I could hear a groaning, squealing sound where it was binding up(I could never pinpoint the area and the Triflow method wasn't working) and then it just took off and sewed smoooooth. I worked on a sewing project with it yesterday and it did a great job.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM

Thank you Candace. I have a Pfaff 229 and a 230 and they are great machines. I can't get the stitch width knob off of it though. I took out the little set screw at the bottom but it won't budge. I chipped it trying to get it off. Are they different from the 229 and 230? Also, there was a small spring that was behind the set screw. I have to think that is part of the problem. Like there is still a piece in there or something. I can't think of why it would be in there. But it is difficult to see up in there and it is such a small hole. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
~G~
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM

You shouldn't mess with the stitch width knob unless it's a last resort. They're old and crack easily. My 332 knob has been glued together in several areas( I didn't do it or break it) but shows the knobs have become a bit brittle with age. You shouldn't have to remove the knob, you just remove the plate from the back of the machine and clean it from behind. And I also applied the liquid wrench that way. Try going through the back of the machine. Let me know how that works:>

Last edited by Candace; 12-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.