Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Picture of "queen" treadle machine >

Picture of "queen" treadle machine

Picture of "queen" treadle machine

Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

What a shame to dump old machines, resell shop or Goodwill would have been a better choice. I'm glad you were able to get some of them, The Singer red eye is a very collectable machine. I don't have any of the old machines but, there are lots on here that collect them and know lots about them. The domed cases are usually called 'coffin tops'.
Welcome to this wonderful board, you will find lots of knowledgeable people here.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM

The 1828 singer 99-13 with the knee bar is in a bentwood case. You will really like this machine, or at least I like mine a lot.
It's too bad that they didn't ask you if you wanted the rest too, even if they were just giving them away. I hate to see them going to the dump. The poor machines. I wonder if there was someone there that rescued some of them. I'm glad that you got the ones that you did.
And if you need any information on fixing them up, this is the place to ask the questions. You will find the most helpful and friendly people on here at the quilting board, especially here in the vintage area! It's filled with wonderful helpers with a huge range of knowledge.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
The domed cases are usually called 'coffin tops'.
Actually, the "domed" bentwood cases are called "Bentwood Cases". The term "coffin top" refers to a box shaped top that goes over a sewing machine in a treadle base. These were the early treadles....later the treadle cabinets had the fold out top that dropped the machine down into the cabinet.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 PM

I found the Quilting Board website while researching for the "Queen", started looking around and felt like a kid in a candy shop, the information available on the site is incredible. Hopefully I will find loving homes for the other machines, as I really only wanted the Singer 99-13.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Peanut, now that you have found us and the Vintage sites of the board, you just might want to stick around and get acquainted with all of us. Here in the vintage area, we've all been stuck by a machine needle, and the vintage machines are stuck in our blood. Some of us find machines, and with others, the machines find them and beg to be taken home and rescued. It's amazing what some have done with machines that look like junk, or 'boat anchors' to start with.

There is a great deal of knowledge to be found here in the vintage section, as well as the rest of the board. This is a friendly bunch of quilters and machine lovers. I hope you like it here. Even if all you want at this time is the 99-13, you just might decide that some of the other machines you have rescued want to stay with you too. They have a way of taking over your heart. Also, did you know that some of us name our machines? Crazy, aren't we?!?