please help

Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Default please help

A non-profit organization where I do volunteer work as been gifted with a heavy duty sewing machine. It says Union Special, and the number on it is 63400B. It is missing the bobbin cover plate and manual. The operations manager searched on line for a manual and cannot find one. Today the needle broke, and she found a universal needle does not work as a replacement. The shop works strictly with donated items and recycles them to make rugs, bags, placemats, etc. There is little/no money for extras. The machine was sewing well before the needle broke.
Also, it does not appear to have a reverse setting, at least we can't find it.
Any suggestions or information will be much appreciated. Thank You!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

My treadle does not have a reverse stitch either. Hope that someone can help you with the needle problem.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Hi,

According to Schmetz, your Union Special uses UY180GS needles. Here's the list and manual:

http://unionspecial.parts/manuals/page57#view-63400b

http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learni...edle-chart.pdf

Unfortunatly, I don't have any needles to send you.

Good Luck,
Jon
Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

I do not know of a serial number lookup site for Union Specials, but perhaps contacting the manufacturer would help? http://www.unionspecial.com/

If you can post a photos we can probably help locate the model/type.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

I have a recently found Singer 16-34 or maybe it is a 16-47 - I can't remember. I haven't test sewn because I need to pull the needle and see if I can find a match somewhere. I sure don't want to break my one and only needle. Maybe there is a marking on the needle shaft?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Thank you, thank you for your help. It is much appreciated!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a recently found Singer 16-34 or maybe it is a 16-47 - I can't remember. I haven't test sewn because I need to pull the needle and see if I can find a match somewhere. I sure don't want to break my one and only needle. Maybe there is a marking on the needle shaft?
Hi Miriam,

Usually the marking on an industrial needle shaft are not very helpful. Industrial Singer needles are usually marked "Simanco" and needle size, not Class. You'd need an owners manual or good reference material to figure out which class of needle is needed.

The 16-34 and 16-47 are very old models. Both use 16x1 (cloth) or 16x2 (leather) round shank needles. You can probably get away with DBX1 or even 15x1 flat shank.

Jon
Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Miriam,

Usually the marking on an industrial needle shaft are not very helpful. Industrial Singer needles are usually marked "Simanco" and needle size, not Class. You'd need an owners manual or good reference material to figure out which class of needle is needed.

The 16-34 and 16-47 are very old models. Both use 16x1 (cloth) or 16x2 (leather) round shank needles. You can probably get away with DBX1 or even 15x1 flat shank.

Jon
Jon, I was hoping you would come along. That machine was well used at one time in a book rebindary..the new owner of the company wanted a long arm so I picked it up. I've been living with my 90 year old parents so haven't had much chance to mess with that machine. I do know it sews nice and once I cleaned it up it has a good feel. I just wasn't over there long enough to do everything. I have some projects for it some day. I should have needles that fit. It looks like a 22 on there now.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:26 PM

Same needle for 16-22. I'd enjoy seeing a photo as oppurtunity permits, sounds like a great old machine.

Jon
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Same needle for 16-22. I'd enjoy seeing a photo as oppurtunity permits, sounds like a great old machine.
Jon
It is worthy of its own thread. Yes it is very nice. It has a swing type foot. I had a 111 which is a walking foot. I'm not for sure if this is a needle feed or a different type walking foot I need some quality time with it. Its foot is different but similar to my Davis machine. There is just something gutsy about a true industrial machine. It is very hard for me to use wimpy machines.