Price?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Bottomfeeder is a term carried over from my other hobby: old woodworking machines.
I usually don't have the money to buy a machine in perfect condition with all the accessories so I buy the "bargain" that needs work to get things right again.
You get what you pay for. The low priced machines I buy usually need a little help to get them going again. Many times when you figure the time and money it takes to replace missing and broken parts, you actually save money buying the better machine to begin with. I enjoy the process though. Getting a machine to work again is at least as much fun as using it to me.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I feel fortunate for the deal I got from the estate sale of an interior designer. My 401a was in the desk cabinet with the cams and different feet and manual. I love it. Got it cleaned up which didn't need much. Few worn spots on the desk top. My DH used it the next morning to repair a couple spots in a denim jacket. It purred like a cat getting it's belly rubbed. I paid $150.00 and was lucky since lived so close nearby, they delivered. I've seen others priced higher without the cabinet and needing a lot of work. All depends on how bad you want it and the shape it's in. A lot of factors need to be taken into consideration. I look at it as a pay scale $20.00 = needing a lot of work and having to buy a lot of parts to very needed cleaning and lube job to higher what is needed.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

I can tell you I bought one at G'will for $69.99 with all its cams & feet, and a poor condition cabinet, and it still needs work.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs Finch View Post
I can tell you I bought one at G'will for $69.99 with all its cams & feet, and a poor condition cabinet, and it still needs work.
If I could, I would reach through the computer screen and fix if for you...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:01 PM

This is good reading, and perfect timing for me. I am hunting for a Singer 301 with no luck around my area, (southern Idaho.) Thrift stores around here don't get vintage sewing machines, apparently, according to them. I found out at least one reason today... The thrift stores take any vintage machines in to the local sewing repair shop owner, who donates his time to go through them, fix them, and sell them for the thrift stores. I saw a 99k that just came in today, a 1952, I think it was. Box in sad shape cosmetically but solid. Machine looked good already, no rust, quite clean, it runs, it has quite a few feet, accessories, and manual with it. $75. Gulp. I use my machines, don't just collect, and while I especially want a 301, a 99 is on my "wish list," too.

I appreciate reading all the view points on this aspect.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
This is good reading, and perfect timing for me. I am hunting for a Singer 301 with no luck around my area, (southern Idaho.) Thrift stores around here don't get vintage sewing machines, apparently, according to them. I found out at least one reason today... The thrift stores take any vintage machines in to the local sewing repair shop owner, who donates his time to go through them, fix them, and sell them for the thrift stores. I saw a 99k that just came in today, a 1952, I think it was. Box in sad shape cosmetically but solid. Machine looked good already, no rust, quite clean, it runs, it has quite a few feet, accessories, and manual with it. $75. Gulp. I use my machines, don't just collect, and while I especially want a 301, a 99 is on my "wish list," too.

I appreciate reading all the view points on this aspect.
That sounds extremely fair. There are 301s on CL all the time around here. But never at give away prices. Some people will ship.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM

I don't trust the idea of shipping a sewing machine. At least, not yet. Someday I may get desperate... It seems like taking such a chance that what you get may not get what was expected, as far as condition? Do you all bid on GW and ebay, and buy off Craigs List? I can just imagine horror stories about damaged machines after bad shipping.

The sewing machine shop owner told me that he had a couple of 301s for a long time 1-2 years ago, no one wanted them and he finally parted them for use on the FWs. That made me sad.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Not every machine gets damaged in shipping. I think we just hear more of the horror stories.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM

I got my 401 from an antique store. It was listed on Craigslist as "free sewing machine". So my son and I went and got it. It was in a cabinet all closed up. I didn't know what I had picked up until we got it out to the pick up and my son wanted to look at it. It was a 401 with cams and manual. The cabinet was pressed wood and in bad shape. We got it home and it wouldn't sew a stitch, because the needle was in backwards. Put the needle in right and it works just fine.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
I don't trust the idea of shipping a sewing machine. At least, not yet. Someday I may get desperate... It seems like taking such a chance that what you get may not get what was expected, as far as condition? Do you all bid on GW and ebay, and buy off Craigs List? I can just imagine horror stories about damaged machines after bad shipping.

The sewing machine shop owner told me that he had a couple of 301s for a long time 1-2 years ago, no one wanted them and he finally parted them for use on the FWs. That made me sad.
Strange. Isn't the bobbin case the only thing interchangeable between the 301 and the Featherweight?