Price?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Price?

What would you pay for a 401a in a cabinet with cams, extra feet and an old singer oil can?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM

There are a lot of variables in that question. The best thing you can do is start looking at your local Craig's List to build up an idea of what a fair price would be in your area. What I would pay can be a far different amount than what you would pay. I also tend to be a bottomfeeder, I don't have the finances to spend a lot on machines. Around here if I really, really wanted one, say to complete a collection, maybe up to $100 but most likely I would wait for a less expensive one to come along. I just missed a free one last week.
If it's under $50 and is in decent shape you're not going to go wrong.
The cams and feet are a big plus but they're easy to get on Ebay. Maybe add another $20 to $40 for those.
My 2 cents,
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of variables. Has it set in an attic for a few years with dried up oil so that parts don't move? Has someone gone over that machine to make sure everything works? Expect to pay more for the machine that has been carefully gone over. It can take hours not minutes to get one of those machines running.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

everyone has different budgets- and feel differently about what they would pay for something- we really can not tell you what is 'reasonable' ... I've seen one person pay $150 for something that the next person would not pay $25 for- and then someone else say- 'what a deal, I paid $300 for mine' .... it's all relative & it's all personal ... what is it worth *to you* if you are thinking about buying it....and if you are 'fishing' to see what to try to charge for one you want to sell....then check out ebay, dealers, amazon, other sources to see what other's are asking for, and actually selling them for.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

I wish we did not talk about price on here - there are forums where you aren't allowed to. Price doesn't really matter when you want the item. Price doesn't really matter when you consider what people spend on new machines. Just use good common sense - buyer beware - you get what you pay for... all that kind of thing.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

wow, such good advice. Remember how many hours, literally, it took me to get my 401 working. Thanks to you all who helped me. And I hear about the lucky folks who find Featherweights for practically nothing while it took me again, not to overuse the word, but "literally" years of many a garage sale, estate sale and flea market between here and Atlanta to even see one in person and I paid about $150 if I remember, with no attachments, and no case, but did have a bobbin case and I was thrilled at that. You are right, Miriam, price doesn't matter if you really want them - as long as the budget allows!!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 AM

I have to admit I enjoy talking price but it really is all relative and that's why it ok to me. Personally, it depends on the condition of the machine, the cabinet and what extras are coming with it. Also, how badly I want it. Is it one you've been looking for? Are they rare or common in your area? And what's your current budget like?

Rodney! "bottom feeder"?? I've never seen it in quite those terms! I prefer to think of myself as thrifty and an amazing bargain hunter lol!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM

I think there are a lot of us here that buy low mostly because we have interest in fixing.

"Needs fixing" price is a lot lower than in "perfect working order" price.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 AM

I pay what it takes to get what I want. I paid $250 for one, but I was after the cabinet and didn't really care that it came with a 401a with all the attachments. I didn't even really want the machine as I already had a couple of them.

I also paid $100 for one in a decent cabinet with all the attachments - and I was after the machine with that one, the cabinet was too "new" for what I collect. Though I'm actually using it as it's got a lot of storage.

And then DH picked one up for $50 in a small cabinet.

We only paid $25 for the 401g, and it came in a really beat up cabinet, which we left in GA but son has not gotten around to having a bonfire yet, so it's still in his garage.

So mostly - price is more of luck issue than anything else.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I think there are a lot of us here that buy low mostly because we have interest in fixing.

"Needs fixing" price is a lot lower than in "perfect working order" price.
I agree. I specifically look for needs love machines or broken ones.