Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Advice about Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/advice-about-featherweight-t107928.html)

Lady Jane 03-16-2011 06:20 AM

I agree, check on E-Bay, bought one thru that web site, for a great price and it sews like a dream!

ladydi64 03-16-2011 06:57 AM

I just bought one from someone on this board who's husband repears and resells them, for $299, I will be getting it this weekend I can't wait. If it's in good working order, tell her not to sell it to an antique dealer, but to contact a local quilting guild Iam sure someone there would be willing to buy it for $200.

quilter1943 03-16-2011 07:24 AM

Be careful of antique dealers. I've had some bad experiences. They will give you a low price, like you said, and then you find out that they had a buyer looking for one and they sold it for 10 times or more what they paid you for it. Others are right - they're still highly valued around here.

MommyA 03-16-2011 07:33 AM

I'm assuming the machine is in good shape, her mother may have been the original owner. I definitely wouldn't take advantage of her and offer her less than it's worth. From what I read, they were produced from 1934-65 so it would be one of the very first made. I'll let you all know what happens with the machine. Thanks again for all the advice.

FroggyinTexas 03-16-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MommyA
A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't sell it for $200, but I surely would buy it! froggyintexs

jlm5419 03-16-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MommyA
A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The antique deal was obviously trying to "steal" it for $50, so he could resell it for $300+

pugmom 03-16-2011 08:32 AM

I will happily pay you $250.00 for it if it is in good working order. I have been looking for one but hubby has been unemployed for months now and that is about all I can scrape up.

clipper35 03-16-2011 09:25 AM

I got my fw from Graham in England and paid $625 for it and it was in perfect condition, I love it and I wouldn't sell it. Sounds like that Antique dealer was trying to make money

Nikki and Co. 03-16-2011 09:37 AM

I agree with everyone that the dealer is taking advantage of her. I think you should buy it. I use mine for classes and sewing retreats and other than that I just love looking at her....she's so darn cute!

vivoaks 03-16-2011 10:46 AM

If I could find a featherweight for $200, I'd jump at it!! That's a very good price, in my estimation. One at a flea market nearby had one last summer for $350.