Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can someone tell me what this machine is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-someone-tell-me-what-machine-t265471.html)

Carol34446 05-22-2015 09:51 AM

I was 5 when my grandmother bought her 201-3, which I still have 60+years later. Grand old machine and while I have had chances to sell it, I have hung on to it. Now I need room to set up my machines.

Mornigstar 05-22-2015 11:53 AM

Oh how I want a 201 . Gave up buying one from Steve in California because hubby thought the shipping would be too expensive. He knows I still want one but thought there must be one looking for me in central Ontario but I never find them in this area. May have to bring one back from Florida some winter. I keep saying it is the only one I want to complete my collection even though I never intended to be a collector. I am a user- of machines at least.
gotta go sew.

ArchaicArcane 05-22-2015 12:27 PM

201s seem to be relatively common here, usually in the belted motor variety. I personally have owned 5 of them, one potted, one HC and the rest belted. I'm down to the 2 I'm keeping. One belted and one HC.

We're not quite Ontario,... and we're definitely not California. ;)

That said, it's possible that shipping from the US might be as cheap as coming from other areas of Canada if you can get someone to pack one right for you and you know Steve would.

ManiacQuilter2 05-22-2015 12:30 PM

I agree. I would get it. Such a nice looking cabinet. They don't make those anymore.

Shelbie 05-22-2015 02:40 PM

201's are available in Ontario. They show up every little while on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List). I got mine free as the daughters were trying to clean out their mother's sewing room and my quilting buddy paid $50 for hers just lately (listed on Barrie). The Canadian version is usually the 201-3 which has the belted motor. A clue to identifying them quickly is the American version usually has a white light switch (not sure why they did this on a black machine). 201's are fast and powerful. I use mine to mend DH's heavy coveralls.

Carol34446 05-23-2015 11:57 AM

Interesting, my grandmothers 201-3 (Helen) was bought in Sherbrooke, Que in 51. Didn't know the Canadian one was mostly the 3 and American the 2. Mine was used for years by Grandmother and then my mother, did a lot of sewing including professional quality lined pleated drapes. Upholstery etc. along with many clothes.

manicmike 05-23-2015 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 (Post 7204533)
Didn't know the Canadian one was mostly the 3 and American the 2.

The 3s are 201K3 made in Scotland. It's probably because of the British connection to Canada and I imagine you find the later (much lighter) 201Ks in Canada too. The one I use the most has a converted (re-wound for 240V) Canadian motor and is a 201K23. I assumed someone brought it with them to Australia and had the motor re-wound (not knowing there are a million of them here!) but I've never even seen a 201-2 or a potted motor Singer 15.
I'd think that Canada mostly got Scottish machines, as we did. I believe 222Ks are also more common there.
Someone in Canada: Are most of your pre-1960s machines from Scotland?

EDIT: Just noticed ISMACS mentions a 201-3. Maybe they were made in the U.S. too, but I haven't heard of many.

Darwin 05-23-2015 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by carolsews2 (Post 7202928)
My husband is helping out with an estate sale that is coming up soon and he says this machine looks really good and thought it was a featherweight. He sent me pictures so I knew it wasn't a Featherweight but don't know what it is. Didn't think to ask him to find the numbers on the bottom of the machine. Here are the pictures he sent to me. I know you all will know what machine this is. Cabinet is in great condition too so what would a fair price range be for the machine and cabinet? Thanks for your help! Carol

It is a 201. You can tell the difference between a model 201 and a model 15 by the light switch, the 201 has the switch below the balance wheel and it is painted white and the switch on the 15 is on the light other than that there is not much difference. The 201 is a a quieter machine which makes it a little better.

Macybaby 05-23-2015 04:48 PM

There is a WAY more obvious way to tell the difference between a 201 and a 15 than the light switch.

It's where the tension is. They are significantly different machines.

greywuuf 05-23-2015 04:55 PM

Is the 201 a Ball Bearing machine ?