Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

Glenn 02-16-2014 09:00 AM

Miriam is right those white spots are where moisture and dirt got under the shellac. Clean the machine and then use my french polish process. they will go away and smooth out and fill in with the shellac. Wipe down the machine with naptha and then clean all decals with sewing machine oil and then do the french polish. This will shine the machine and add more protection for the decals.
Skip

redapple 02-16-2014 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I am new to this and couldn't find a description - what is the french polish method?

I want to try your method but I'm scared I'm going to damage the machine...do you have a video showing what you do?

Also, what do you think of using Blue Magic's TR-3 Resin Glaze (dab it with a cotton ball and rub on machine a lot) - someone else used it and got good results.

miriam 02-16-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by redapple (Post 6578600)
Thanks for the info. I am new to this and couldn't find a description - what is the french polish method?

I want to try your method but I'm scared I'm going to damage the machine...do you have a video showing what you do?

Also, what do you think of using Blue Magic's TR-3 Resin Glaze (dab it with a cotton ball and rub on machine a lot) - someone else used it and got good results.

No there is no video. You will need to go back the the beginning of this thread and read every word Glenn has written and then follow any links that come up. Here is a link for a second tutorial we collaborated this fall: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t235747.html
You can try the Blue Magic's TR-3 Resin Glaze if you are more comfortable - it's your machine.

redapple 02-16-2014 03:31 PM

Thanks - I went back to the search field and tried another set of terms and found the definition for French Polish! I will be sure to read every word of this thread (and the additional link you provided) before I attempt anything.

miriam 02-17-2014 10:28 AM

Glenn, my machine did not do well with French polish - I think it is the lack of any kind of finish on the machine. Should I brush on some shellac then polish? HOW? Does it get thinned? Should it be applied straight out of the can? It seems like it is just the bottom of the machine - the arm seems a bit better - well at least it looks shiny. The bottom just doesn't look right.

Glenn 02-17-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6580694)
Glenn, my machine did not do well with French polish - I think it is the lack of any kind of finish on the machine. Should I brush on some shellac then polish? HOW? Does it get thinned? Should it be applied straight out of the can? It seems like it is just the bottom of the machine - the arm seems a bit better - well at least it looks shiny. The bottom just doesn't look right.

No Miriam don't bush shellac on the base, have Plhil go get you a can of clear spray shellac at Lowes. Same brand as the can shellac. Wipe down the base with naptha and then spray several thin coats of shellac to build up some finish then you can french polish. If you brush shellac you will have to thin it down the denautured alcohol so it will flow smoothly and you may have to sand with wet or dry sandpaper to remove any brush marks. I think you will have better luck with the spray shellac.

tropit 02-19-2014 04:22 PM

Hi Glenn,

I've gone all over town and no one carries Naptha anymore around here. I think it might be banned for environmental reasons. Do you have another suggestion? Thanks, Cindy

Glenn 02-19-2014 04:34 PM

Lighter fluid(zippo cig lighters) is the same thing. Our Lowes carries naptha. If you can't find neither just clean the surface with warm water and a soft rag with a little dish soap. The rag should be damp and not wet. You really need the maptha or lighter fluid to clean any oils left on the machine. You can also wipe it down with damp rag with denatured alcohol lightly to remove any oil but be careful with the decals. I use old white t-shirts and old whitie tighties for this.
Skip

miriam 02-19-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6584845)
Lighter fluid(zippo cig lighters) is the same thing. Our Lowes carries naptha. If you can't find neither just clean the surface with warm water and a soft rag with a little dish soap. The rag should be damp and not wet. You really need the maptha or lighter fluid to clean any oils left on the machine. You can also wipe it down with damp rag with denatured alcohol lightly to remove any oil but be careful with the decals. I use old white t-shirts and old whitie tighties for this.
Skip

Is it the same stuff you use to light up the charcoal?

SteveH 02-19-2014 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cindy,

Welcome to California..... In the Bay Area the Home Depot acarries the current "substitute" for Naptha, it looks like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]463393[/ATTACH]