Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

miriam 01-04-2015 12:42 PM

you might need to work on your rag technique.

Glenn 01-04-2015 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7033590)
Should there be linseed oil here Glenn? It reads like you're putting alcohol and alcohol on the rag.

I found I spent a lot of time fighting the rag. It would shift around and every once in a while I dragged it in the work I'd just done. My solution? Broccoli elastic. Held the excess rag out of the way and the rag tight to my fingers. Less muttering under my breath too.

Yes alcohol with and drop or two of linseed oil

ArchaicArcane 01-04-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7033682)
you might need to work on your rag technique.

Probably. I was playing with it a little downstairs and it might have something to do with the fact that I have long-ish nails and long fingers.

miriam 01-04-2015 03:36 PM

Long fingers no problem - nails - yup there is your problem.

asgardner 01-04-2015 05:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I want to thank everyone for their help. After letting my machine sit for a few days and a (really) good coating of wax, my machine looks great![ATTACH=CONFIG]504756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504758[/ATTACH]

sews 01-04-2015 09:30 PM

Wonderful news!

Susanmarie 01-09-2015 09:45 AM

I have a question, I searched through the Replies to this post but didn't find an anwer, thus, sorry if this has been covered already.
Can you explain French Polishing or the 'shellac polishing' technique, please?

Last night I dabbed the Aniline Dye stain powder mixed with denatured alcohol and shellac on my Singer 66 RedEye. Now, I'm wondering what to do next? I accidentally overlooked the dye powder to denatured alcohol ratio instructions in the original post and just mixed enough alcohol into the paint to make a liquid and then added shellac. From what I read in the original post the next step should be french polishing but I'm not sure what that is. It has probably been explained but I'm not finding a good way to do a Search on QuiltingBoard. Thank you in advance, Sue

Glenn 01-09-2015 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Susanmarie (Post 7040428)
I have a question, I searched through the Replies to this post but didn't find an anwer, thus, sorry if this has been covered already.
Can you explain French Polishing or the 'shellac polishing' technique, please?

Last night I dabbed the Aniline Dye stain powder mixed with denatured alcohol and shellac on my Singer 66 RedEye. Now, I'm wondering what to do next? I accidentally overlooked the dye powder to denatured alcohol ratio instructions in the original post and just mixed enough alcohol into the paint to make a liquid and then added shellac. From what I read in the original post the next step should be french polishing but I'm not sure what that is. It has probably been explained but I'm not finding a good way to do a Search on QuiltingBoard. Thank you in advance, Sue

Go to the first page of this thread and you will find complete directions on how to.

Susanmarie 01-09-2015 10:23 AM

Hmmm, sorry, I'm just not seeing it. In Post #7 on the first page I see where you referred to French polishing but I don't seen a post on the first page explaining it.

Susanmarie 01-09-2015 10:31 AM

Or is the french polishing what you did before the aniline dye paint step? The denatured alcohol with boiled Lindseed oil rubbing?

I've googled french polishing and read descriptions of what to do with wood but I'm not sure those instructions apply to a sewing machine head.