Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Does anyone else have one of these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-anyone-else-have-one-these-t218432.html)

Janis 04-06-2013 05:33 PM

Does anyone else have one of these?

I looked on the net, and this is the closest I could find to the Gritzner Durlach hand crank sewing machine I got yesterday. Mine is in much better condition than this one. I don't have chipped paint on mine, but I think this shows the Mother of Pearl in the center of the machine and what mine looks like. Wish I could post pictures of mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-GRIT...item2329a71be1

Does anyone have any information as to what needle it takes?
Thanks, Janis

suci 04-07-2013 12:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dear all,

I just wonder if anyone know this riccar sewing machine model? its only have thalhimer emblem on the front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406557[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]406559[/ATTACH]

the sewing machine still work fine, my mother-in-law had it since 1974 and passed it to me.
I'll try to search in the Internet to locate the model but have no luck.
I need to know all the feature from this sewing machine.

regards
Suci
Bogor, Indonesia

miriam 04-07-2013 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5982930)
I looked on the net, and this is the closest I could find to the Gritzner Durlach hand crank sewing machine I got yesterday. Mine is in much better condition than this one. I don't have chipped paint on mine, but I think this shows the Mother of Pearl in the center of the machine and what mine looks like. Wish I could post pictures of mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-GRIT...item2329a71be1

Does anyone have any information as to what needle it takes?
Thanks, Janis

Does Ismacs have a chart?

miriam 04-07-2013 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by suci (Post 5983340)
Dear all,

I just wonder if anyone know this riccar sewing machine model? its only have thalhimer emblem on the front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406557[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]406559[/ATTACH]

the sewing machine still work fine, my mother-in-law had it since 1974 and passed it to me.
I'll try to search in the Internet to locate the model but have no luck.
I need to know all the feature from this sewing machine.

regards
Suci
Bogor, Indonesia

It is a fancy stitch badged machine. The knob on the left is the stitch selector - to the right might be for width and the one below would be for length. You will have to do trial and error. Here is a link for other fancy stitch machines.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html
and here is a link for the zz badged machines:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html

ArchaicArcane 04-07-2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5983475)
Does Ismacs have a chart?

It looks a lot like the Winselmann that I have here. My Winselmann takes a class 12x1 needle. If you ever find a good source for the needles, I'd like to hear about it. I find them online sometimes, but they're really expensive (somewhere in the "a few to several dollars each" range) The needle it came with is dull, and bent, but it sews very nicely after about 8 hours of work I did on it when I got it home. LOL! I pieced my first "quilted" project on it. Log cabin pin cushions.

I've heard that you can sharpen the needles, I may figure out what's involved with that one day.

Janis 04-07-2013 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5985726)
It looks a lot like the Winselmann that I have here. My Winselmann takes a class 12x1 needle. If you ever find a good source for the needles, I'd like to hear about it. I find them online sometimes, but they're really expensive (somewhere in the "a few to several dollars each" range) The needle it came with is dull, and bent, but it sews very nicely after about 8 hours of work I did on it when I got it home. LOL! I pieced my first "quilted" project on it. Log cabin pin cushions.

I've heard that you can sharpen the needles, I may figure out what's involved with that one day.

Thanks Miriam and Tammi, I did look on ISMAC and read through all 12 pages on the needles. On page 37, I found Gritzner Familien and Gritzner Rotary. The Familien takes 12x1 and the Rotary takes 16x1. I'm thinking it heeds the Familien. Now to see if my OSMG has the needles and also the tire for the bobbin winding. I'll call him tomorrow.
Anyone that has information on where to get the needles, etc., your help is wanted and needed! Thanks.

Mizkaki 04-08-2013 09:11 AM

Janis,

If your machine has the slides plates like the eBay listing, yours is a TS (transverse shuttle). All TSs take a 12x1 needle. AND most German TSs will work with the common industrial DBX1 needle.

Remember that the TSs do not have a needle stop for depth. Place the needle oriented the correct way (usually with the long groove facing forward), push it up to where you know its too high and clamp itt down lightly. Turn the hand wheel towards you until the timing mark (an etched horizontal line on the top left of the needlebar) is just entering the casting. Now loosen and lower the needle until the eye is just entering the needle plate. Your needle is now set properly.

Cathy
needle

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5985787)
Thanks Miriam and Tammi, I did look on ISMAC and read through all 12 pages on the needles. On page 37, I found Gritzner Familien and Gritzner Rotary. The Familien takes 12x1 and the Rotary takes 16x1. I'm thinking it heeds the Familien. Now to see if my OSMG has the needles and also the tire for the bobbin winding. I'll call him tomorrow.
Anyone that has information on where to get the needles, etc., your help is wanted and needed! Thanks.

ArchaicArcane 04-08-2013 09:27 AM

Wow Cathy! Thanks for this information. The poor Winselmann had been resigned to being a show piece, but I actually have 4 packs of DBx1 needles here that came with an Elna that I bought. I will have to try that out the next time I spend some time in the sewing room!

Caroline S 04-08-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5985726)

My Wheeler & Wilson No.8 has a needle sharpener, round honing stone, attached to the frame that is operated by the treadle belt. So I am sure that our very thrifty ancestors did sharpen their needles. I am wondering if a fishhook sharpener would work to sharpen needles?

Mizkaki 04-08-2013 09:58 AM

Yes, I have done it. I have a fishhook sharpener that I have used to remove burs. I twirl the needle as I draw the tip along the groove of the sharpener. Works very well.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5986867)
My Wheeler & Wilson No.8 has a needle sharpener, round honing stone, attached to the frame that is operated by the treadle belt. So I am sure that our very thrifty ancestors did sharpen their needles. I am wondering if a fishhook sharpener would work to sharpen needles?