Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

wilma A 05-24-2011 08:16 AM

where do you go to buy different feet for a 301a and by the way to the ladys who helped me with the problems i was having with my machine thanks so much with my husbands help we oiled and greased it and now it purrs so softley and makes beautiful stiches

ewecansew 05-24-2011 08:25 AM

The first featherweight that I bought, was from a second-hand shop 18 years ago. I took it on a road trip shortly after purchase and it was stolen out of the back of my truck. They left the bottle of rum and the sleeping bag, but took 'my' featherweight. I was just sick, because I didn't realize it was gone until after we got back home. Of course, back then I really didn`t know what I had purchased, just that it was so cute. The second one (222) was acquired in a trade because it was missing the bobbin case. Then I purchased a 301 because it used the same bobbin case. Now I have 7 -221 (black), one 221 (white) and one 222 and 3 - 301. I think I have an obsession.

misseva 05-24-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
The first featherweight that I bought, was from a second-hand shop 18 years ago. I took it on a road trip shortly after purchase and it was stolen out of the back of my truck. They left the bottle of rum and the sleeping bag, but took 'my' featherweight. I was just sick, because I didn't realize it was gone until after we got back home. Of course, back then I really didn`t know what I had purchased, just that it was so cute. The second one (222) was acquired in a trade because it was missing the bobbin case. Then I purchased a 301 because it used the same bobbin case. Now I have 7 -221 (black), one 221 (white) and one 222 and 3 - 301. I think I have an obsession.

yes, and i think it's catching.

Bluphrog 05-24-2011 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 4 FWs -- a 1939 model I call Spike (because he's such a tough little guy), a 1963 white named Blanche, a Cenennial model who hasn't been named yet, and my newest acquisition is a 1961 tan. I'm thinking of calling her Sugar (Like the song Brown Sugar). I'm still looking for an affordable 222.

I had horrible problems with Blanche's case. The mildew odor was so bad, it seemed like even Blanche smelled. I baked it in the trunk of my car for 6 weeks, dried it out and killed the odor. Blanch is my "travel" machine -- workshops, classes, etc., unless I'm going to need FMQ or decorative stitches. I found a Coleman cooler on wheels that she fits in. I love taking her with me, because many of the quilters I just meet have never seen a white FW.

I haven't used Spike or the Centennial, except to make sure that they did sew.

Sugar is my "at work" machine. Yup, I found an empty office and keep her, a cutting mat, iron and ironing pad, rotary cutter and various other odds and ends there. I ordered a kit from Keepsake Quilting and spend part of my lunch hour working on it.

I have given serious thought to selling Spike, because I'm pretty sure I'll never use him, but since he's my "first", it would be hard to part with him.

Sugar
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201840[/ATTACH]

KyKaren1949 05-24-2011 10:31 AM

The best place I have found to look for accessories like feet is on ebay. I bought a 301 on ebay. The case was in really bad condition and I would like to find another one of those. I paid about $80 plus shipping. Later I found a complete set of attachments plus accessories on ebay for dirt cheap. Trying to remember, but I'm thinking it was about $35 and much of what was there was duplicated. I got two pedals, a many of the feet were duplicated. Be patient in your search. You will find everything you want without too much trouble.

Janis 05-24-2011 10:45 AM

I just got home from shopping and want to tell everyone what I got. I got a rolling tote for my featherweight,who is still nameless, unfortunately. I got an 'Everything Mary' rolling tote that has a picture of yarn in the top of it. It measures 15"L x8"W x13"H It was for $59.99 at Michaels, back by the yarn, and with a 40% off, I got it for about $38.00. It has pockets!! 1 open and 1 zips down to hold things inside it's little pockets, and one that just zips. And those are just on the front. It has a pocket on each side on the outside, and zip ones all around on the inside. I do have to give my friend Ione credit for finding the tote for her machine and telling me about it so I could get one too. I went on line and didn't find it at either Hobby Lobby nor Joann's. Maybe Michaels is the only place that has it.
I also went to Joann's and got a walking foot for it at the Viking store in there. It cost $24.95 or something like that.

rita222 05-24-2011 10:54 AM

I just was lucky to get one from ebay. There were only three bids on it and mine won. paid $202.50 plus $20.00 shipping. came all the way from Colorado. It is great condition, sews like a charm and I got several feet and the book with it along with extra bobins and several needles,its a model 221 made in 1948. Hope to get a lot of quilting done with it.

nhweaver 05-24-2011 12:10 PM

It can be compared to someone who has a closet full of fabric and kits, it just feels so good to open that door and dream. Some people only have 1 child and some of us have more than one. I didn't want Early Girl to be an only.

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Let me ask a question of those of you who have more than 1 FW. I only have 1 FW and can't figure out why I would need a second one?

So I'd like to humbly ask (because I'd like to understand) -- Why do you have more than one? Do you sew on all of them or are some just for decoration? (A woman in my quilt guild has 6 antique machines and they are purely decor.)

deplaylady 05-24-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
I just got home from shopping and want to tell everyone what I got. I got a rolling tote for my featherweight,who is still nameless, unfortunately. I got an 'Everything Mary' rolling tote that has a picture of yarn in the top of it. It measures 15"L x8"W x13"H It was for $59.99 at Michaels, back by the yarn, and with a 40% off, I got it for about $38.00. It has pockets!! 1 open and 1 zips down to hold things inside it's little pockets, and one that just zips. And those are just on the front. It has a pocket on each side on the outside, and zip ones all around on the inside. I do have to give my friend Ione credit for finding the tote for her machine and telling me about it so I could get one too. I went on line and didn't find it at either Hobby Lobby nor Joann's. Maybe Michaels is the only place that has it.
I also went to Joann's and got a walking foot for it at the Viking store in there. It cost $24.95 or something like that.

Wish I had read this earlier! I was just at a JoAnns and saw one on clearance for $29.99 and wondered if my Featherweight would fit in it - it looked like it would, but I didn't take time to look closer and I didn't have the measurements of my featherweight. I was thinking it might be nice to leave the original case home. Of course, my baby is still out at the Dr's.

KyKaren1949 05-24-2011 12:33 PM

There are two sets of attachments etc on ebay for the 301 right now. One is selling for around $11 and the other for $14. Check it out. Enter Singer 301 in the search bar and see what you can find!!