Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

GreatStarter 06-25-2011 07:14 PM

I have that stupid red belt too. She runs great with it, but the belt color irritates me....LOL Silly I know.
Your new fw is now beautiful!!!!

Kat (east of you)

lovelyl 06-26-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I have that stupid red belt too. She runs great with it, but the belt color irritates me....LOL Silly I know.
Your new fw is now beautiful!!!!

Kat (east of you)

:D I kind of like my red belt - I put on a matching red felt pad for the thread spool and my "Baby" feels like she is lookin' good... :lol:

Jo Mama 06-26-2011 08:28 AM

You did a great job - what a cutie.

Quilt 06-26-2011 08:58 AM

You mentioned waxed and buffed---what do you use. Your Daisy looks fantastic. My Lucille just got back from the Singer hospital but needs a prettier exterior. They did put on a brownish looking belt which I like.

FWDesigns 06-26-2011 11:02 AM

Red belt ??? :hunf: I had a lug ORANGE looking one on when I got mine and changed it out to a nice smooth black looking one. But a true red color looking belt would have been totally awesone! I am still experiencing a little bit of drag with the new belt but I've been told that it will loosen up with more use and to adjust the motor as needed. I'm wondering and this is for you FW experts out there -Is there any reason why I shouldn't have changed the belt out - or is there any reason to have a lug belt besides a smooth one?

roseOfsharon 06-26-2011 11:27 AM

I have a question on the Dvd's and the book.... Would you need to purchase both the book My featherwieght and I as well as the Dvd's. Do the Dvd's cover the same material as the book? Do you find you use the book as well and if so what is crucial to have both? Thanks for any response. :)
This is by
Dave McCallum

Thanks,
Sharon

Charlee 06-26-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Finally! She's done! My attempt at fixing up a FW is all most complete! Not yet named, not completely all waxed and buffed, but she feels so much better! She needs a name, but I'm leaned toward 'Daisy' since she'll be the machine I'll be using to drive around with! (And I know a cute little black dog named Daisy, and this machine was sure a dog when I started, and although not a cute one!) I'd still like to replace the red belt the repair shop put on her when I get a chance (that belt and the new lamp cost me $88 - that's all they did to her, when I picked her up and opened her up I saw she hadn't even been oiled.) She now is all spiffed up, oiled and lubed and sews like a dream!

~grin~ "Driving Miss Daisy"?? She's really pretty!

FWDesigns 06-26-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Do you find you use the book as well and if so what is crucial to have both?

Sharon, I personally use both of them. The DVD is great but sometimes I just like to see something in writing.

roseOfsharon 06-26-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns

Sharon, I personally use both of them. The DVD is great but sometimes I just like to see something in writing.

Thanks for your answering back :) I will have to save to get them both!! I would certainly like to be able to tinker with my two and get them running the best they can :) One needs a tension fix... the actual tension knob!

deplaylady 06-26-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns

Thanks for your answering back :) I will have to save to get them both!! I would certainly like to be able to tinker with my two and get them running the best they can :) One needs a tension fix... the actual tension knob!

That book helped me to get my Daisy all pretty again. It would have saved me the $88 I paid to the shop just to have them 'service it', which amounted to replacing a belt and the light bulb. Never again! The book was fantastic - I can't believe I actually took the motor off my FW, took the finish down to the paint, patched up paint where it was needed, refinished and put it back together (and it runs!) My husband was even impressed with how good the book was. From now on out, I'll be just using it to keep her humming! (And away from the shop!)

To answer the other question about the final finish - I am going to be rechecking Billy's tuts on refinishing old machines to refresh my mind on what I need to get - I think its carnuba.