Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

patchsamkim 07-05-2011 04:07 PM

Several years ago when I was visiting my aunt, she let me know she had two featherweights, and as with her macular degeneration, she hardly sewed anymore, and she wanted to let me have one of them. The one she gave me is the one that was her mom's (my grandma's)...the other one was one that she had bought used somewhere. I only had to promise that if for some reason I no longer wanted the machine, I have to keep in in the family...shouldn't be hard as I have a niece who has been sewing clothes for her 2 year old and has also done some quilting.

VickyS 07-06-2011 10:46 AM

I've done FMQ on my Featherweight and I can recommend it along with others in my LQ guild. Just remember, there is NO stitch regulation so the speed you move the material and the speed you push the pedal determines stitch length.

I've found it necessary to increase the size of the stitch length from about 8 (for piecing) to 6 or the bottom because I generally do a stipple or design which is somewhat dense in quilting. Tension is sometimes an issue, so make sure you start out with a sharp (preferably new) and good thread.

I just love the fact that this old machine can do so many good things, so why would you want to have a new one?

Sandra in Minnesota 07-06-2011 12:26 PM

I have a centennial and she sews like a dream!

jljack 07-06-2011 03:10 PM

My Featherweight was born in 1957, and I just got her this week. She has some nicks and dings, but overall looks good. I will be cleaning her up this weekend. She came with a few bobbins, standard straight stitch foot and her case, but that's all. Her case luckily doesn't smell bad. All her wires are in good condition. I am thinking up a name for her. This is my very first FW, and she joins my 301, 99, 66-1, Elna Supermatic, 1917 Western Electric, and an Adler from late 1950s that we can't seem to keep together & running that was my DH's mom's machine bought new.

Annaquilts 07-06-2011 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have several. Right now I am using my white to make a wedding quilt for my daughter.

Sandra in Minnesota 07-06-2011 05:55 PM

White one is beautiful too!

KayT 07-06-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear

I used mine last month, I don't use it all the time, but love it.

manley 07-06-2011 07:01 PM

I got one off craig's list last December for $250.00. That included the shipping and everything, nice case, machine looks new and purrs like a kitten. I use it all the time. I named her "Little Sweet". :thumbup:

bucky383 07-06-2011 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Cabbagepatchkid for the closeup picture of your white machine. I just got one today, nice seller on CL, and I thought it didn't have a bobbin winder [no book with machine]

Seeing your picture, I realized what the black plastic disk and little pin thing in the box were! I need to get the book and DVD you mention.

So here are pics of my new White FW and the Tan one my son found for me last year.

gazzo50 07-08-2011 03:05 PM

I just bought a Singer 322. It needs a power cord. Any idea where I might find one. second hand id ok. kcl