Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How far will you drive? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-far-will-you-drive-t231704.html)

Cecilia S. 10-04-2013 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6329593)
At the moment it would hurt me to drive for more than an hour one-way, but I have very little time and two little kids... so I think it depends on your circumstances. If I was on my own with nobody else to worry about, I think an excuse for a day trip with coffee and thrift/antique shop stops along the way sounds like absolute heaven!!

Love this thread.

Amelia, I will fly to Australia just to join you for coffee and lunch! Max Brenner Bald Guy Hot Chocolate? Lunch at The Firehouse? Ooooh, Australia has -very- good coffee.

I have only ever personally gone as far as public transit will take me, but my boyfriend, who loves these stitchers and encourages me almost too much, has frequently been hear dto say, "Anything good on the boards today? Oh, four hours away - that's no problem, let's rent a car and make a day of it!" So far my sensible side has not allowed that, for a $20 machine then becomes many times that... but what a nice sentiment!

Candace 10-04-2013 07:01 AM

I've only gone about 45 min. each way as my longest drive, but if the price warranted a longer trip, I'd do it.

SteveH 10-04-2013 10:42 AM

I live in the SF Bay area and I drove to Los Angeles (~400 miles 5.5 hours each way) to pick up two treadles.

1876 Howe Model A Coffin top Treadle and the 1872 Wheeler Wilson #4 - 1/2 case treadle with Silver bits.

I borrowed by SIL's Saturn and using one of my superpowers (Swedish packing gene) I was able to take them apart and fit both in the trunk.

OH so worth the drive. The W&W I paid $250 for and one in similar condition just sold for just over $1,300

Vridar 10-04-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6330357)
OH so worth the drive. The W&W I paid $250 for and one in similar condition just sold for just over $1,300

I've used that fact so many times my spouse says, "Then why don't you sell some of yours?":thumbup:

miriam 10-04-2013 11:36 AM

Depends on price X number of machines... LOL

Skyangel 10-04-2013 12:22 PM

My 1886 Improved Family in a Drawing Room cabinet was about 1 1/2 hours away but I was going north for my niece's wedding anyway. Picking it up afterwards was about a 45 minute detour. My hubby was good natured about driving the PU to the wedding.

Sunflowerzz 10-04-2013 01:11 PM

I would drive 6 to 8 hrs and stay over night somewhere and turn it into a mini get outta the house vacation.:)

miriam 10-04-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 6330624)
I would drive 6 to 8 hrs and stay over night somewhere and turn it into a mini get outta the house vacation.:)

Yeah well, I'll I lack for that is gas money and money for a hotel.......

Sunflowerzz 10-04-2013 01:40 PM

Oh Miriam, my husband had his first two week paid vacation these past two weeks and it was the first one since 1986! We had forgotten what a real vacation was.

Basically I have a piggy bank that we pilfer when things like this come up because otherwise we would never leave the house. LOL It is a good excuse. So far I have only driven one hour away for a sewing machine but I will gladly combine an overnight trip with a purchase.

Yeah the gas part is kinda tuff because I have a 4X4 Tundra gas hog. The hotel is better because of hubby's work. We get points. Haven't used them yet but I sure would like to give it a go.

Sideways 10-04-2013 05:03 PM

I'm going back home to Pittsburgh in a few weeks, my 83 year old spry Dad wants to have his knee replaced so I will stay and take care of him. I am going to look for machines along the way. I've never done that before, should be interesting,

But I have to stay off the Pittsburgh Craigslist until right before I leave lol, I don't know if I convinced one seller to hold a machine for me until I come into town. Wish I had a savvy Craig's list family member to pick it up but I can't think of one. Lol they will think I'm certifiable for sure. Doggone it all I have to do is get off the Pa turnpike and that machine is right nearby.