Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Introducing my 1870 Florence Treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/introducing-my-1870-florence-treadle-t249809.html)

jlhmnj 07-09-2014 02:42 PM

Steve,

Beautiful machine. Maybe something in the Boye cabinet would be suitable for bending. Them curved needles are worth their weight in gold. Have fun.

Jon

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6793286)
I am having a hard time finding needles for this one. I am even considering taking one of my curved Wheeler & Wilson Needles, annealing the spring out, reversing the bend, then re-tempering it.

SteveH 07-09-2014 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 6793298)
Steve, Beautiful machine. Maybe something in the Boye cabinet would be suitable for bending. Them curved needles are worth their weight in gold. Have fun.
Jon

Interesting thought, I will check that out. As far as the W&W curved needles I have over 20 of them left....

jlhmnj 07-09-2014 03:40 PM

They could probably pay for your next machine or two. I see one sold on ebay a while back for $25.

Jon

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6793303)
Interesting thought, I will check that out. As far as the W&W curved needles I have over 20 of them left....

SteveH 07-09-2014 04:21 PM

yeah, but I got more than two dozen with my W&W..

so far I have used one, I have given two to a collection/museum in Washington, and am about to give two more to a lady from the W&W group who has had a machine for a while with no needles.

I figure they are worth more to me as sources of good karma than as sale items. but yea, at 25-30 ea x 20+ needles would fund a machine or two....

jlhmnj 07-09-2014 04:39 PM

That's fantastic and very generous. I often hear of the early W&W's being purchased with no needles to sew with. Would also be great if someone bent a bunch of these needles to sell or give away as there seems to be a need.

Jon

PS---Send me a few, maybe a W&W#1 will turn up afterwards :D

Skylark53 07-09-2014 05:39 PM

Wow, what a beautiful machine, and nice to see it in good hands. I'd never heard of a "dress guard" before - I had an idea what it was and apparently it's just what it sounds like. Wouldn't be any fun to get caught in the machine!

mtpockets1 07-10-2014 07:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Steve,
What needle does it use? My husband bought a mass of needles at a flea market and I was going to sell on EBay but have not gotten what I consider enough info to know what I was selling. As you can see from the pictures I would gladly look and see if I had something that would work. Mostly Singer but I have found many I've needed for both industrial and domestic machines I have. Can't promise anything but I will look!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482341[/ATTACH]

Lisa

SteveH 07-10-2014 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 6793466)
PS---Send me a few, maybe a W&W#1 will turn up afterwards :D

Hey, if ya really want, I will send ya one! They are cool, they look like micro Katanas....

SteveH 07-10-2014 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mtpockets1 (Post 6794452)
Steve,
What needle does it use? My husband bought a mass of needles at a flea market and I was going to sell on EBay but have not gotten what I consider enough info to know what I was selling. As you can see from the pictures I would gladly look and see if I had something that would work. Mostly Singer but I have found many I've needed for both industrial and domestic machines I have. Can't promise anything but I will look! Lisa

WOW!!! Um, I kinda doubt this would be there. These were only made from 1860-1875 so REALLY old packages.
The needles are curved which also decreases the chances... but hey, thank's for looking!

I am however looking for WWII era Singer Surgical Suture needles if by any weird chance there are any in there...

Wow again....

nanna-up-north 07-10-2014 07:59 AM

Another beauty, Steve. Congrats!