Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Missing my FW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/missing-my-fw-t254054.html)

singerguy 09-21-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6897028)
It's a collector thing. They may have different badges, colors, features etc even though the 'same' model. I have 7, 301's for this reason and I use them all.

i wish i have multiple machines like you. i only got one of a kind except for multiple 27's but i sure am getting there.... getting to having multiple machines per model.

oldtnquiltinglady 09-21-2014 04:09 PM

I certainly can understand your reticence at selling the FW to someone "odd" like that. But there is a reason it happened--and one of those reasons is that it afforded you two 301s. You will love them--I hope they are nice and clean and sound good, but if they don't suit you in quietness and performance, you can be the one to work on them. You can't do one thing to the new machines of today. I forgot to look where you are from, but if you were lucky enough to find 301s, you can still find FWs if you keep a sharp eye out. Good luck.

twinkie 09-21-2014 04:27 PM

Sorry, but I have 7 Featherweights. They were bought when we had the money and they are my favorite machine. I now say I am saving them for my retirement fund. I do all my piecing on a 1955 FW. Love the stitch it does. My DH jokingly says he has named them Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6896509)
Sorry, I just don't get having multiple same machines.

purplefiend 09-22-2014 02:58 PM

kalamaquilts,
Singer featherweights are nice little machines, sometimes I need more than one. I have 3, a tan,a black and a repainted purple one.
Sharon in TX

Mrs. SewNSew 09-22-2014 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6899819)
kalamaquilts,
Singer featherweights are nice little machines, sometimes I need more than one. I have 3, a tan,a black and a repainted purple one.
Sharon in TX

Photos needed ~ especially the purple one!

tenngal 09-23-2014 11:07 AM

I understand where you're coming from. We are downsizing and every time I sell a machine, I miss it. Am down to 9 left.

singerguy 09-23-2014 11:13 AM

My wife's been asking me to sell some of my sewing machines as I am taking over half of our garage and one car sits outside of our house now. She's worried that the paint of the car will fade by sitting outside. Not that it's a newer car (1996) but I think it's just her way of saying 'you've got too much machines!'. I thought I will be able to rehome some but I added quite a few more. I don't even know how much I have. All I know is I've got over 20 machines.

iadhikari 09-29-2014 07:02 PM

Well, everyone, a quick update -- I am thoroughly and irremediably afflicted with SMAD. I was browing around on the Goodwill site and saw a poor, orphaned little Featherweight, no case, needle doesn't go up and down according to the listing, and it called to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it has the chrome-edge hand wheel, a chrome stitch length lever, but a numbered tension dial. I don't know what kind of face plate it has (striated or scroll). I don't even know if it has a bobbin case! But I saw it was $100, put in a bid, walked away to let fate take its course, and... won it! $101.55, which is a lot of money, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it working, but it's going to be an adventure. Can't wait for it to get here.

Cari-in-Oly 09-29-2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by iadhikari (Post 6909346)
Well, everyone, a quick update -- I am thoroughly and irremediably afflicted with SMAD. I was browing around on the Goodwill site and saw a poor, orphaned little Featherweight, no case, needle doesn't go up and down according to the listing, and it called to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it has the chrome-edge hand wheel, a chrome stitch length lever, but a numbered tension dial. I don't know what kind of face plate it has (striated or scroll). I don't even know if it has a bobbin case! But I saw it was $100, put in a bid, walked away to let fate take its course, and... won it! $101.55, which is a lot of money, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it working, but it's going to be an adventure. Can't wait for it to get here.

You never know. I got one of my favorite quilting machines the same way. I watched a Universal clone go unsold for weeks on ShopGoodwill. It was filthy dirty, the light was broken, just an orphan naked machine. I finally took pity on it and won it with a bid of $5.99 +tax. Orphan Annie got a spa treatment, a cute little cabinet for a new home and a new light. She does have one battle scar. What I thought in pics was a stripe of green paint turned out to be what was left of a totally baked on big old green rubber band. I got most of it off, but there's still a skinny green stripe on her front that refuses to budge. She loves to do free motion work.

Cari

miriam 09-30-2014 02:53 AM

The green might come off with tar and bug remover from the car parts store...