Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Missing my FW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/missing-my-fw-t254054.html)

iadhikari 09-20-2014 06:31 AM

Missing my FW

Hi everyone,
How do you suggest getting over a case of seller's remorse?
I'm posting this here because I know you all understand about bonding with inanimate objects. :thumbup:
I wanted to buy a Singer 301 but told myself I should sell one of my Featherweights first. I have three Kenmore machines and I had two Featherweights. But I used one Featherweight much more than the other, and I thought it would be fun to have more of a variety of machines. So I decided to sell one Featherweight and use the money to buy a 301.
The lady who bought it was nice, but a little odd. She said when she saw the machine (a 1948) that she thought it would look brand new. She thought I was going to bring fabric and thread and everything so she could try it out (we met at a neutral place). She didn't understand how I could not have the case (bought it that way!). I sort of felt like just walking out and saying I was going to keep the machine. But I told myself it shouldn't sit in the closet, and sold it anyway.
I ended up buying two 301s with the money (long, uninteresting story). But they're not here yet, and my Featherweight is gone, and I miss it. I can't call up the lady who bought it and ask to buy it back, so... what do I do?
Should I buy myself another Featherweight for Christmas? Is there a project I can do on the 301 that I couldn't have done on the Featherweight? Has anyone else ever sold a machine and regretted it?
Suggestions for getting over it?
Ila in Denver

KalamaQuilts 09-20-2014 06:56 AM

Sorry, I just don't get having multiple same machines.

barny 09-20-2014 07:11 AM

Yep, go get another one if it will make you feel okay. I get whatever I can.LOL.

Rodney 09-20-2014 07:12 AM

That's why I haven't parted with any of my machines. I like them too much.
I actually think you made a good decision. The arrival of your 301s should help you feel better. You may find you like them better. They're not much heavier and they have a far larger working area under the harp. I don't know that it helps but if you put the two machines in front of me and I could only have one I would take the 301 every time.
Rodney

tessagin 09-20-2014 07:19 AM

I still have dibs on my BIL's FW. I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about the 2 sewing machines that were set on the curb for the picking. DH said I told him to. I can't imagine my thinking like that. I have a 401 from an estate sale but still doesn't take place of the other ones. DH used the White to reupholster seats in a 74 Nova! It was a workhorse! Need to stop or it'll make me mad at myself. Not sure what you sold it for but if it were in working condition, I'd keep my eyes out for it in some of the thrift shops or maybe you'll see her in or around town and be able to buy it back.

tessagin 09-20-2014 07:20 AM

Maybe I should keep my eyes peeled for a 301?

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6896534)
That's why I haven't parted with any of my machines. I like them too much.
I actually think you made a good decision. The arrival of your 301s should help you feel better. You may find you like them better. They're not much heavier and they have a far larger working area under the harp. I don't know that it helps but if you put the two machines in front of me and I could only have one I would take the 301 every time.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 09-20-2014 08:42 AM

How soon do you get the 301's? It sounds like you made a good choice in the buy sell part. I can understand your uneasiness of letting your Featherweight go to an odd person. Some machines are so dear to us we want to feel they are going to a good home and will be loved and appreciated.

singerguy 09-20-2014 09:10 AM

my advise: no looking back. it is what it is. your intentions were good when you sold your FW.

iadhikari 09-20-2014 10:19 AM

Thanks, everyone! I think my sadness is just about letting it go to someone who might not appreciate it and take care of it. Rodney, it is very helpful to know that you like the 301 better. I'm sure once they get here, I'll feel better.
I love that people on this board get how I feel, though.
Again, thanks to everyone who replied.
Ila

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6896658)
How soon do you get the 301's? It sounds like you made a good choice in the buy sell part. I can understand your uneasiness of letting your Featherweight go to an odd person. Some machines are so dear to us we want to feel they are going to a good home and will be loved and appreciated.

Candace 09-20-2014 02:07 PM

I prefer my 7 301's over my 2 FW's:> I don't think you'll miss it once you have the replacements.