Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Monogrammer Cams. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/monogrammer-cams-t304502.html)

JoshuaJames 05-01-2019 05:18 PM

Monogrammer Cams.

Interested in monogrammer cams for Singer or Sears monogrammer attachments. Have half the alphabet, problem is that they are not available in the UK. I have spare letters, if anyone interested I will swap one for one. Mine were purchased from USA through E-bay. Cost of cams was fine but postage to UK, through E-bay, has been around $30 for a single cam weighing a couple of ounces.
The cams I'm looking for are the long rectangular ones, they are also interchangeable with the Sears Kenmore attachment.

I have 9 machines now, all thrift/charity shop purchases, Singer slant machines (G), Newhome, Jones, Brother, all steel geared and working well. My latest buy was a 1400 series Kenmore (cost me an arm and a leg postage through E-bay USA-UK but well worth it). A growing collection of Singer, Simanco presser feet, must try some of the la-de-dah ones out sometime.

I keep looking at quilting but no quite ready for it yet. Still trying to perfect making Victorian detachable collars in Egyptian cotton, unless anybody knows of a better suited fabric.

Farmhousesewer 05-03-2019 07:27 AM

I keep looking at quilting but no quite ready for it yet. Still trying to perfect making Victorian detachable collars in Egyptian cotton, unless anybody knows of a better suited fabric.

Would love to see some of your work! I believe the E C is perfect for what you are doing.

Will keep an eye out for cams.

JoshuaJames 05-03-2019 11:20 AM

Thank you Maria from Tennessee, quite a demand for detachable collar. I live very near Beamish Museum www.beamish.org.uk
, open air with rebuilt period buildings and costumed workers. How long we remain in EC is anybodies guess.. I have just taken delivery of a 404 Quilter Professional (£249 inc tax) computerised but what a difference in build to my old Singers and the old Kenmore. Don't think it will survive as long. I was attracted by the inbuilt alphabet. I will in time try to put some photographs on here but still having trouble navigating and understanding Blogs. "Gan canny",as they say round here. Joshua

Rose_P 05-03-2019 09:40 PM

Joshua, I believe Maria typed "E C" to mean "Egyptian Cotton".

You are certainly correct about the differences between the old machines and new. I wouldn't want to part with either, but if push comes to shove the ones to bank on are the oldies with lots of metal.

If you haven't checked Etsy for the cams, that's randomly a source for vintage machine accessories. I found a number of Bernina cams there. I will keep an eye out for the cams. Which letters are you missing?

If you're serious about monogramming, an embroidery machine would be much more rewarding, IMO. Even a lower-end Brother embroidery machine will make a much more beautiful monogram than any sewing machine, and in versatile sizes. It will also do other fancy embroidery, of course, and you may find yourself taking on a whole new hobby, as I did about 2 years ago.

Of course, if you have the patience and skill you can learn to do freehand satin stitch embroidery and monogramming with a zig-zag machine. In 1966 I watched a sewing machine salesman demonstrating this technique on a brand new White zigzag. He made it look extremely easy, but then I tried it. :p

Here's a video by Clare Rowley that shows the basics. She makes a ridiculous statement that a 3 yr-old could have fun with this - no, no, no and no - sorry, that's just nuts! The video is extremely slow getting started and she's pushing her products, but I didn't find a better demonstration or one on a vintage machine. Interestingly, she mentions that "we used to" be able to adjust the zigzag width while sewing. Those of us with old zigzags still have that option. With her skills, you could do it on a straight stitcher. You could slide this to the halfway point if you just want to watch the embroidery part and miss the cute doggie and other asides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDzwY5nJZp4

JoshuaJames 05-04-2019 12:34 AM

Thanks Rose P, i did think she meant European Community, so much Brexit on all news at the moment. I am using Egyptian cotton fabric. I had tried freehand lettering after watching a video. The video looked so easy, a fast running machine, and little explanation. The video you linked has given me new inspiration. I will practice with my new computerised machine as it has a slow speed setting. Once confident I will revert to my old machines, as you say they are a lot stronger having survived 40/50 even 60 years. As an old aged pensioner I do have all the time in the world to practice.
A lifetime interest in words and lettering, this is brilliant way of spreading my interest. There is a lot of "steam-punks" about now, another group that may be interested in having items monogrammed. The machine I bought has only one font, one size, but it does have speed adjustment. My foot pedal control is not brilliant, I did read a thread on here about knee controllers; at times the pedal ends up on the table but it leaves me with only one hand free. I will save toward a machine such as Brother, Singer, Janome etc.
Many thanks again, your reply has encouraged me to try again at freehand work.
Joshua

Sewing Susie 06-13-2019 01:53 AM

Hi everyone! I have a Kenmore 158.1690, Convertible sewing machine and I am looking for the monogrammer that is used with it. I have looked and googled everything possible. I bought a part # 43560 for rear attachment but it does not line up to fit in the rear pop up. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Macybaby 06-13-2019 04:11 AM

Susie, at least those for the Kenmore are way easier to find than the Singers, as they were sold as full sets, while the Singer was sold with a coupon for three cams - very few people bought the full set of cams.

Can you post a picture of what the problem is, I'm not following what you are describing. I've only found two styles, one for the open arm machine, one for the flat bed machine. So I'm wondering if you have a different monogrammer than the one I'm thinking of. BTW, if you bought the "Sears" one that is about the same as the Singer that the OP was talking about, that is different than what I'm talking about.

leonf 06-13-2019 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Joshua James. I may be buying some monnogram cams this weeknd. I'll see better what they look like and there shape and see if they are duplicates. I am also chasing a Jones without a bobbin.

GF and I like to dress Victorian. She made all the garb. except the hats.[ATTACH=CONFIG]613778[/ATTACH]

Sewing Susie 06-13-2019 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613802[/ATTACH]Note where the long hole is. On the monogrammer, the piece that goes in that hole is on the
other side.

OurWorkbench 06-13-2019 06:25 PM

I don't have the free arm monogram attachment, but do have the one for flat bed Kenmores. Granted, I haven't tried it, yet. Could you take a picture of the attachment top and bottom off the machine? Also are there slots in the back that the tabs in the attachment fit into. I'm wondering if you need to have the 'arm' piece attached to the free arm of the machine, so that you can "snap" the plate portion into place????

Not often, but I have seen manuals that have incorrect images and instructions. I know I saw one that had the bobbin threaded incorrectly and another that had a page with correction stapled in a manual.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.