Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Not That Anyone Would Want To (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/not-anyone-would-want-t232489.html)

miriam 10-15-2013 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller (Post 6349676)
When I come across an item I'd like to get but which is over priced I usually respond by saying something to the extent of...
Hello - If you don't get your price and decide to review that please let me know.
I'll hear from the seller about half the time.

As for those "make offer" CL listings that don't state a price - they're liable to get flagged. I'm not sure if it's a violation of CL's terms of service or not but back when I posted some things for sale like that - "Make offer" - and they got flagged off because I didn't state a price - which could then be "or best offer". I was advised that they don't allow you to run auctions on CL.

At any rate - if no price is listed I'll reply and state my interest in the item and ask the seller to state the price he'd be willing to take.

Just what I do...not Gospel :-)

Usually they just ignore that, too.

amcatanzaro 10-15-2013 05:24 AM

If I have learned anything about vintage sewing machines it would be that pricing is bizarre. I think when you mix in sentimental value it mucks things up. You have people that have no idea what to charge and that mucks things up. Shows like Storage Wars that pull vintage items out and claim they are more valuable than gold. etc etc.
Mostly I think people like us are an uncommon breed, I won't say rare because obviously other people are buying machines too. Maybe to use, maybe to display, maybe because it reminds them of grandma. Most of the machines I have purchased I intend on cleaning up and using. But a lot of people out there seem to assume no one is using these machines.
I'm babbling. I suppose if you want it offer what you are comfortable with and if they aren't interested move on. Unless it's OMG RARE (which this isn't) there will be more. I'm with Joe, tell them you are interested for $50, never know, in a week that $50 might sound like a really good offer.

Lew Schiller 10-15-2013 06:01 AM

Shows like Storage Wars that pull vintage items out and claim they are more valuable than gold. etc etc.
Oy! Nothing makes me more crazy than shows of that ilk that tell you what an item is supposed to sell for or what they intend to offer it for instead of what it actually brought. It's such a TV scam.

J Miller 10-15-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6349780)
Joe, I have one of those 66-16s or what ever number it is in very very nice shape and in a bentwood case. I think just the case may be worth more than the $50. You can not give a shot gun approach to pricing any of these sewing machines. Prices may vary from the depressed central Illinois part of the planet to other parts of the country. The world is bigger than Springfield.

So then I shouldn't post my opinion or tell what I've bought the same exact machine for??????

The CL seller said make an offer but don't low ball him. I said I wouldn't offer more than $50.00. That is my feelings on the situation based on the machines I've bought in and around this area and from auction sources all over the country.
And I said the machine is not rare. Which it isn't. Neither is the cabinet.

Perhaps I'm interfering with a forum members sales by my comments .... they can PM me then and we'll discuss it.
But unless I'm banned from this forum I will state my opinions and comments, just like everybody else.

No offense intended.

Joe

miriam 10-15-2013 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6350305)
So then I shouldn't post my opinion or tell what I've bought the same exact machine for??????

The CL seller said make an offer but don't low ball him. I said I wouldn't offer more than $50.00. That is my feelings on the situation based on the machines I've bought in and around this area and from auction sources all over the country.
And I said the machine is not rare. Which it isn't. Neither is the cabinet.

Perhaps I'm interfering with a forum members sales by my comments .... they can PM me then and we'll discuss it.
But unless I'm banned from this forum I will state my opinions and comments, just like everybody else.

No offense intended.

Joe

It's ok Joe... :thumbup:

SteveH 10-15-2013 08:28 AM

It has been my experience that "critiquing" other member's posts is better done in PM than in public forums.... Offering counter opinions makes sense in public, but questioning the validity of a post or opinion would be better served in private.

my .02

miriam 10-15-2013 08:30 AM

I'm grumpy - my world has been rocked very hard - sorry

SteveH 10-15-2013 08:36 AM

well, you are in the right place to "recover" No stress, just opinions being shared.... you do rock Miriam, really really.

miriam 10-15-2013 08:41 AM

Not at the moment, Steve.

Whoopie 10-15-2013 09:48 AM

I have one that looks just like it.
All it does is sew, forward and backward. I've made most all my quilts on it. I think it will run forever. Just oil it like crazy.