Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Stitchnripper 01-04-2014 08:55 AM

Scrappy quilt with two vintage machines

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of my most recent quilt. Pieced on the 401 and quilted on the electric 66. I even attempted some FMQ on the 66 and it really did fine, based on my abilities. The thread only broke twice. Used regular Coats & Clark thread. I used all pieces from my scrappy stash. I only really buy those little bundles in the scrap bin at JoAnn Fabrics and Hancocks. I even pieced big strips of leftover warm and natural batting with that batting tape. That was a challenge because it stuck to the iron and I ended up using a pressing cloth. Might just zig zag pieces together next time. You can see the mistakes in the blocks, usually because I am "flying by the seat of my pants" and don't pay the best of attention. But, it was to use up scraps and then practice the FMQ on the vintage machine. I didn't cover the feed dogs, but set the stitch length to zero.

ArchaicArcane 01-04-2014 10:06 AM

Great job Alyce! I also love how you hung it for display! That's better than the binder clips and old needles I do,... and less fur than the floor.

vintagemotif 01-04-2014 11:16 AM

Glenn, Nicely done dress! You did a lot of tucks since the sleeves are very wide. Also looks like gathers or tucks in the bodice so no darts are needed. I'm assuming that the wide sleeves are meant for when the weather is warm or hot. I doubt the women back then went sleeveless when out in public. Must of been a fun project that came together rather quickly. Thanks for sharing!

vintagemotif 01-04-2014 11:29 AM

Alyce, Your scrappy quilt is pretty! It's always fun using different vintage machines for different jobs in making a quilt. I don't notice your mistakes in the blocks. Any irregularities in your blocks breathes liveliness into the quilt. Life isn't perfect and neither should a quilt.

nanna-up-north 01-04-2014 02:50 PM

Alyce.... I can't see any mistakes. Your quilt is lovely..... the stitching looks fine. I think you may be one of those that's too hard on yourself.

Glen, your sewing skills are quite impressive. I taught sewing for years and I'd give you an A+. Good job.

Glenn 01-04-2014 03:29 PM

Thanks you guy's, I have always made dresses for my wife for our military balls when I was an Army officer for 20 + years. My grandma taught me to sew and I would not do it for a long time did not want my fellow officers to think I was strange. I realized that a lot of my fellow soldiers did needle point and such so we started a sewing club. No longer needed to be ashamed of sewing but most of the guys are gone now due to war and age. The club is long gone now but I still sew in their honor and will continue to do so.
Skip

purplefiend 01-05-2014 01:47 AM

Alyce,
I think your quilt is pretty, blue and yellow are a lovely color combo. You've done a good job making your quilt.
I used to teach quilting, been quilting for many years. I learned to make clothes from my Mom when I was a child, used to make most of my family's clothing.
Glenn,
The dress you made for your wife looks wonderful, the pants do too.

I'm currently sewing, "Easy Street", a mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com. I'm using my White Rotary treadle.
Sharon W. in Texas

gramquilter2 01-05-2014 07:59 AM

Glenn, it was so nice to hear about your sewing club. My uncle was a Navy Officer and single father of 4 girls. While on the ship he sewed dresses and coats and knitted hats, scarves and sweaters for his girls. They were always beautifully dressed.

JLMoore3rd 01-07-2014 05:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My first quilt, finished just before New Years Eve, was for my dog Bix... I helped sew most of the blocks for our king size bed quilt and while my wife was piecing it together she couldn't keep Bix off of the quilt, so he needed his own. I sewed all of the blocks with my LBOW 301A, but switched to my Pfaff 1171 for the piecing- it's going to take me a while to get used to the 301 for longer pieces. Here's a pic of the final quilt & also the 301.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455268[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]455267[/ATTACH]

Crossstitcher 01-07-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6490996)
This is what I ware. Made the pants but not the coat.

Very nice Glenn, you do a wonderful job.