Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Scakes 03-31-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR (Post 5104414)
Here are two of my treadle machine quilts I"ve done this winter...love the treadle. so relaxing. I didn't machine quilt them with the treadle...too much stopping and starting. the first one is the 10/minute block, the second my box of strips. (didn't even put a dent in it) LOL

Great quilts. I especially like the 2nd one. It's so bright and happy. :-)

irishrose 03-31-2012 06:57 AM

Linda those are very pretty and inspire to use my Redeye when it's back together. I like the piano key border.

LindaR 03-31-2012 07:58 AM

they may both end up being donation quilts...I know the guild had a project for a grief camp coming up....like to have ones on hand, something always comes up....thanks

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 09:17 AM

Linda, Very pretty quilts. Is the second one a quilt as you go block?

ShabbyTabby 03-31-2012 10:49 AM

All you ladies that have vintage machines....why do you prefer them for making quilts? I have never had a vintage machine so am asking in case I would want to get one,.

Charlee 03-31-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby (Post 5105237)
All you ladies that have vintage machines....why do you prefer them for making quilts? I have never had a vintage machine so am asking in case I would want to get one,.

Tabby, we like the vintage machines for a variety of reasons. The straight stitch machines usually produce a beautiful straight stitch with no "jogs" in the seam from a thick "join" pushing the needle to one side or the other.
There's a nostalgia about sewing with these old girls too...there's just something about it that's hard to describe...and for many of us, we're old enough that it's like going back to our roots. These machines are consistantly workhorses, and to treadle a machine has it's own kind of special feeling...many love the sounds of a treadle machine, and many feel a "connection" to ancestors as they treadle...doing something the same way our grandmothers/great grandmothers, etc. would have done it...

BoJangles 03-31-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby (Post 5105237)

Shabby, I agree with Charlee, but want to add that sitting and piecing your quilt or quilting your quilt with a treadle is just therapeutic, - and it is great exercise! These old gals have wonderful stitches and are not the least bit bothered by the thicknesses you are going through. They will sew canvas or doubled flat felt seams like butter. They are just so well made that they will out live us, our grandkids, and great grand kids. The plastic wonders today will be dead, buried, and forgotten for new plastic wonders in 50 years. There is just something very special about using the machines of yesteryear because of the quality of those machines. I prefer treadles, but do use electric vintage too! I also have a couple brand new machines, but I always go for the vintage/antique machine first - those old machines are amazing.

Nancy

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 01:09 PM

I love the control that I have while treadling, a slower pace. The treadling sound has a way of soothing me, a calming effect. It's like the treadle is talking to me; telling me that it's okay to take life slowly.

As Charlee stated, the stitches on these vintage machines are beautiful!
As Nancy stated, the machines will out live us.

I also look at these exquisite machines as mechanical art that I can use to make quilts.

I just wish some of my machines could talk because I'm sure the stories that they have would be a delight!

Candace 03-31-2012 01:40 PM

I don't treadle, but I love my vintage machines because generally speaking, I don't have to hand over $60-$150 per machine to be serviced every year. I have one machine I have to do that with, and one is enough!

miriam 03-31-2012 01:43 PM

I work on the old machines and some newer machines. The older machines are made so well - is it any wonder they have such a beautiful stitch? The skill level of the work that went into those old machines is long gone. You do not see any new machine of any kind anywhere as well made as the old sewing machines - durable. The engineering is outstanding. I am in aw of what I see in the older machines. So simple yet they sew so fine. The newer the machine the more plastic and stamped parts I see and they don't hold up. They still rely on the old engineering to actually make them sew. I guess reliable comes to mind. Repairable - and I can do it. Reasonable prices. Green as in nothing will be wasted in a couple years - they will go on and on if cared for - if not they can be recycled or parts used to make another one just as well made to live a lot longer.