Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-lubricant-aka-grease-t228143.html)

Dollyo 08-19-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6241855)
Please don't use the Tri-flo grease in the motor.

I should have clarified that it is not to be used in the grease tubes. However, it is great for the gears.

Overlander 08-19-2013 02:41 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I've looked for Tri-flow here and can get the oil, but not the grease. I've been told and read NOT to use vasoline. I don't remember why, but will look it up again. I will try a couple of your suggested sites.

J Miller 08-19-2013 02:45 PM

Overlander,

Some older machines actually specify petroleum jelly ( Vaseline) as the lube for their motors. Others call for their factory supplied lube, Singer for instance.
In this case Singer has defected out on us and no longer sells the motor lube. As far as I have read the closest grease to use is petroleum jelly.

That is why I have mentioned it. Hopefully somewhere there is a grease that's more like the Singer grease than petroleum jelly.

Joe

Overlander 08-19-2013 02:55 PM

Thanks Joe. I am hopeful that I will find some grease, but if all else fails I will try the petroleum jelly. :)

oreo1912 08-19-2013 05:55 PM

Joe. I have a FW and a 15-91 manuals for both say to use motor lube. If I use Vaseline do you just pump until it starts to seep out or is there an amount. I don't see anything in the manual other than motor needs lubed. Also how often does it need to be done? Probably depends on usage I would imagine. Can you tell by the sound of the motor when it needs lube? Does it whine? does it get sluggish or pull harder? Now my FW has a tube of lube that appears to still be soft. Do I dare use that?

Janis 08-19-2013 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=J Miller;6239318]I don't have a source of the Singer Motor Lube any more. From what I have read that lube has been discontinued by Singer and what you find now ( the white stuff ) is for gears, not motors.

Joe, the Singer Lubricant I got last year at Joann's is clear, not white. Is it just the white that isn't good for the motors, or should I not use the clear Singer Lubricant in my motors?
Janis

J Miller 08-20-2013 04:29 AM

oreo,

No, don't push it in till it comes out, that's too much. Just fill the little cup. Remember as it gets warm from the motor running it gets soft and flows to the bearings. You don't want too much, that can contaminate the armature and brushes.
Follow the lube instructions in your owners manual.

Janis,
You got the motor lube. The white stuff has a different part number and is for the gears. The clear stuff is for the motors and can be used on the gears.
The JoAnns around here discontinued Singer grease about 3 years ago when they closed out the two smaller stores and opened the one huge one.

Joe

mom-6 08-20-2013 04:46 AM

Question regarding the TriFlo lubricant - why did you say not to use it on the motor? I thought I was the replacement for the Singer lubricant.

redmadder 08-20-2013 04:54 AM

About the glue. Go to youtube, put in elmer's glue. Her name is Susan Shumacher(spelling?). It is the school glue that I and others use. I hold the binding down and set the glue with my iron. It flakes, no gummy stuff on the needle. It washes right out, doesn't stain, and makes it possible to quickly sew an accurate binding. The stuff is really just thick starch, completely non toxic.

ArchaicArcane 08-24-2013 06:40 PM

I'm sorry I missed this. Overlander and I have been talking. The last order I put in to my supplier resulted in the brown grease, all of the tubes I've opened anyway. I'm shipping a couple of tubes her way, and I can help out anyone else in Canada who's having trouble finding it.