Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadle Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadle-sewing-machine-t45271.html)

MISHNJIM 05-08-2010 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Look what we found when we went Antique shopping today....1908 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in a box and it had a lot of feet in it also, a bunch of bobbins (different sizes) and measuring tapes.

Had so much fun!!! We decided to leave some other machines at the stores too. We found a really cool sewing table but someone ruined it by putting in a newer electric sewing machine in it and cut holes so that it would fit. I was so bummed because the table was beautiful.

Happy Mother's Day to me.

Singer Treadle w/ feet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52392[/ATTACH]

My Antique Sewing Stash
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52688[/ATTACH]

My 1908 Singer Treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52758[/ATTACH]

beachlady 05-08-2010 05:57 PM

Very nice looking machines. Happy Mother's Day!

Pam 05-08-2010 06:01 PM

A day well spent.

Charlee 05-08-2010 06:10 PM

Beautiful find!! Happy Mother's Day! :)

It's not a treadle tho, I think I see a knob on the handwheel? Would be a handcrank, and if that's the case I'm insanely jealous!! ;)

The decals look a bit like the "Dark Victorian" decals...what's the serial number on her?

sharon b 05-08-2010 06:35 PM

Happy Mothers Day to you ! :mrgreen: Great machine :thumbup:

MISHNJIM 05-08-2010 06:40 PM

I thought that if it had the handwheel, that was considered a treadle? I'm just getting into the older machines. Serial # V495385.

littlehud 05-08-2010 06:44 PM

Pretty, pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Charlee 05-08-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
I thought that if it had the handwheel, that was considered a treadle? I'm just getting into the older machines. Serial # V495385.

A treadle machine is in a cabinet and is operated by foot power...meaning that you push the mechanism (pedal?) to and fro with your feet....I've seen some that operate like bicycle pedals. By manipulating the foot pedal, you turn a large wheel that is connected by a long belt to the machine itself.

If your machine has a knob on the handwheel, then it's a handcrank...and they're wonderful machines, to be sure!! (And I'm STILL jealous as all get out!) That's a beautiful machine, the decals are wonderfully intact, and I'd almost trade you one of mine for it! :lol:

wvdek 05-08-2010 08:59 PM

Wow, what a nice day you had and to get so many nice things. All those bobbins, and such.

no1jan 05-09-2010 03:52 AM

Love your machine! What a great Mother's Day present.

Look at all the attachments! Including a walking foot. What are the brown long objects in the first picture? I have seen them but have no idea what they are.

Actually I have candle sconces made out of reproductions of these. That's where I saw them before.

What were they originally made for any one know?