Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadling - one foot or two? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadling-one-foot-two-t204447.html)

Mizkaki 10-29-2012 09:22 PM

Joe,

Be on the lookout for a set of irons from an industrial machine. A universal top on it with a household cut out and you are good to go. All of my regular treadles are in the 19" range inside leg to leg measurement and my industrial 31-20
measures in at 25 1/8". That extra 6 inches really helps for those who are horizontally challenged. VBG

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5619442)
I usually use one, the left. I have spinal problems that makes my right side weaker and have less stamina than the left. I'm also fairly plump, picture the Pillsbury Dough Boy or the Michelin Man trying to get both fat legs under the table. So I use the left foot mostly. I do try to use both occasionally, but the left leg is dominant and the right leg fatigues faster, so the left is doing all the work anyway, so I just use one.

Joe

sewnbug 10-30-2012 04:11 AM

Two. Left is in back and right is in front.

J Miller 10-30-2012 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5622660)
Joe,

Be on the lookout for a set of irons from an industrial machine. A universal top on it with a household cut out and you are good to go. All of my regular treadles are in the 19" range inside leg to leg measurement and my industrial 31-20
measures in at 25 1/8". That extra 6 inches really helps for those who are horizontally challenged. VBG

Cathy

Cathy,
Thanks for the info. I've been on the lookout for something along those lines to make a MUT. But so far nothing has shown itself.

Joe

KittyKate 10-30-2012 06:01 AM

I use both feet. Left toes at the back Right foot to the front. This gives me better rhythm and it runs along smoothly. I also wear soft shoes.

pinkCastleDH 10-30-2012 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5622949)
Cathy,
Thanks for the info. I've been on the lookout for something along those lines to make a MUT. But so far nothing has shown itself.

Joe

Joe - I haven't checked it out myself but I think I read on the Treadleon website that the White cabinets are wider and position the needle directly in front of you instead of to the left of center.

J Miller 10-30-2012 06:19 AM

pCDH,

Another option to be sure.

Part of my "plan" for the MUT is to make interchangeable inserts for different machines. For instance I have a W&G Type 10 industrial lock stitch machine. To drive that I really need a treadle with a larger drive wheel. Basically an industrial treadle base.

Eventually I'll find one.

Joe

pinkCastleDH 10-30-2012 06:24 AM

That's interesting. I didn't realize you'd need a larger drive wheel for some machines. I'd be afraid that would make others substantially harder to treadle.

I'm trying to remember where I saw a 31-15 treadle setup for sale. It wasn't silly cheap but it did have that industrial treadle base and, of course, the machine is a tank!

oleganny 10-30-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5618850)
I have 2 feet on the platform. My right foot on the back right corner and my left toe on the left corner kitty corner from the right foot. Once I start it with my hand with the hand wheel, a light push with my right foot keeps it going and the toe taps the front to keep it in motion.

This is exactly how I treadle - I've never seen it done any other way

pinkCastleDH 10-30-2012 07:20 AM

I'm probably hampered by never having seen it done except in a couple of videos. The only treadling I've ever seen in person is a lathe which uses a different pivot point to put the majority of the motion at the front so it's done one legged with a pushing motion and knee flexion. For me it's completely natural to do it one footed - heel, toe, heel, toe, ..... No knee movement, just ankle flexion. I do intend to try to get the coordination of two feet into it at some point but each time I've tried so far it's been very herky-jerky.

J Miller 10-30-2012 08:11 AM

I was given my first treadle machine, Singer 66 T-1, back in 98. Prior to that nobody in my family had one they used. And I'd never seen one in use. So I had to learn to do it all by myself. I do not think there is any one right way to do it. It's one of those "what ever works for you" is the right way kind of things.

Joe