Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadling - one foot or two? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadling-one-foot-two-t204447.html)

pinkCastleDH 10-28-2012 06:20 AM

Treadling - one foot or two?

I've been experimenting with both and so far I'm much smoother one footed (which is the same way you'd use a treadle lathe since you'd be standing while using it, but it has a larger throw so it's more of a knee action.) I've seen some videos that suggest two feet, however. For those of you who treadle, how do you do it?

Prim Quilts 10-28-2012 08:13 AM

I use two.

crafty pat 10-28-2012 09:11 AM

I learned to sew on my Mothers and used it until I married and bought my 401A. I was taught to use two and all those I ever saw using one also used two.

Belfrybat 10-28-2012 09:20 AM

Definitely use two feet. You'll wear out your knee using just one. I learned to sew on a treadle when I was 8 and my stepfather wired two wood blocks to the treadle so I could reach it. I stupidly gave my treadle machine away 15 years ago when I moved to a small house and have regretted it every since. Can't afford one now.

pinkCastleDH 10-28-2012 09:41 AM

Sounds like I should work on two-footing it. I'm not over worried about wearing myself out - the range of motion is much smaller than I get with bicycle cranks and I can do that for hours on end - but I'd rather get good at doing it right just as a matter of habit.

Tartan 10-28-2012 10:05 AM

I have 2 feet on the platform. My right foot on the back right corner and my left toe on the left corner kitty corner from the right foot. Once I start it with my hand with the hand wheel, a light push with my right foot keeps it going and the toe taps the front to keep it in motion.

Glenn 10-28-2012 10:27 AM

I use my right foot and my left foot as a control, brake so to speak and I go for hours piecing.

Stitchnripper 10-28-2012 12:35 PM

Usually two.

J Miller 10-28-2012 02:37 PM

I usually use one, the left. I have spinal problems that makes my right side weaker and have less stamina than the left. I'm also fairly plump, picture the Pillsbury Dough Boy or the Michelin Man trying to get both fat legs under the table. So I use the left foot mostly. I do try to use both occasionally, but the left leg is dominant and the right leg fatigues faster, so the left is doing all the work anyway, so I just use one.

Joe

Kittywolf13 10-28-2012 08:17 PM

I usually use one, but am new to the whole treadling thing. My W&G cabinet is very narrow and I am apperantly not so narrow so it's hard to fit both legs in there. When I do I usually have to sit a bit at an angle. I do use two though because since it doesn't have a permanent spot in the house yet it scoots across the floor becaus I havent put anything under the wheels. (and the machine is so small and light it adds no weight at all to the cabinet!) I also use two to start and stop the treadle but once I get going its usually one. I'm still learning and two works well too. :)