Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-15-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Those suitcases for the machines are too much! I have been reading some sites where posters state that they now prefer the 301s to take to class. I would go for the 301 over a FW as the machine to take to class since I like my space for working (spoiled now that I have the grand vintage ladies).

Yes, I'd like to find a 301 just to have one and try it out. If you see a brown old timey type suitcase, look inside! I'd never have guessed there'd be a sewing machine inside!

The 301 in our class was heavier and bigger than the FW's, but not real heavy like most old Singers. I think the difference in weight between the FW and 301 is less than 5 lbs.

Nancy

Nancy Here is one with suitcase that someone is asking $175. Too cute! And bit high in price for me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2210026806.html

chris_quilts 02-15-2011 12:22 PM

If your machine is cutting the thread, it usually means your foot has a barb that is coming into contact with the needle. Check the foot for barbs, rough spots. I had that happen with my Pfaff 1222e! My 1/4" foot had a barb and everytime I used it, my thread got cut! Also, remember those little girls need to be oiled quite regularly - like every 8 hours if you are using them alot.

Also, put in a new needle - a slightly bent or barbed needle can also cause skipped stitches, cut thread. And, re-thread her to make sure you have threaded the machine and bobbin correctly. Remember too, the bobbin rolls counter clockwise when you pull the thread while holding the bobbin case in your left hand (threaded)!

Nancy

Nancy;

Thanks. I have changed my needle to a new one. Will check bobbin thread and needle threading. About the barbed foot: Did you replace it or smooth out the barb? The thread isn't cut unless I'm trying to sew in reverse.

Glenn 02-15-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I will keep it for the camper but my Davis, redeye and lotus( there is nothing like sewing with a 66-1 Singer treadle). I have to keep the FW since a dear friend gave to me so I will give it a chance. It does not have much power oh it will piece and such but that is about all. It is light and travels well but I am not impressed. I have yet to see what people see in them. Glenn

Glenn, have you taken the machine apart and really deep cleaned her? I took a cleaning/maintenance FW class last week and there were a couple machines that did not perform well. Both of them had lint/thread stuck in all kinds of places, plus they had dried up gunk - probably old grease - in the gears. We took the wheel off, cleaned any thread that had gotten caught in there, oiled and put it back on. Really oiled all the oil holes and moving parts and re-greased the gears. You will need to take off the face plate and the bottom cover. Also, remove the top cover and really get in there and clean clean clean! You will need to look all around the bobbin hook race with a flashlight - one of the machines had a 5 -6 inch piece of thread wrapped around where it could not be seen except with a flashlight and really hunting - I bet, you'll fix the slow moving problem. My three FW's all sew really nicely and move quite fast. It is amazing where thread gets caught on these little machines -- they will still run -- but, not happily until cleaned, oiled, greased! The FW is actually a pretty amazing machine for being so little. Our instructor had one she had been sewing tons of clothes with since she was 9 years old -- she is probably in her 60's now!

Nancy

Nancy thanks for the info on FW. I cleaned it again and all the gears are shiny clean and greased and oil as the manual said. She is running better and sews faster but not much. She does have a nice stitch. Not the power expected so cleaned the motor and and installed new brushes and greased in the two locations as instructed by the manual. The motor just hums along with no problem now and sews great but the power has not increased. I will use it to piece it will do fine for that. I guess it is the man in me you know --more power!!! My wife ask how much power to I need to piece? My answer I want the thing to climb a mountain. :lol: If the motors did not cost so much I would replace it and keep this one for spare. Thank you again for the good info, now I know. Glenn

luv2learn 02-15-2011 01:29 PM

Vintagemotif,

Thank you very much for the info. . . I will look for external motors to treadle. . . .

Jennifer and Denise, Congratulations on your new finds!!

Trish the donuts were delicious. . . I had two!!! Thank you so much!

Weedwoman 02-15-2011 01:30 PM

Glenn, sometimes the foot pedal has an adjustment on them for making the machine go faster. Anyway, that's what someone told my DH so I don't know if it's fact or fiction. Billy could probably clue you in on that one.

Miz Johnny 02-15-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.

I thought I had some, but they are 206x13s. Don't even remember what they fit (think senior moment here).[/quote]

Speaking of senior moments, it IS 206 x 13!!!!!!!!

Miz Johnny 02-15-2011 01:57 PM

Hi Luv2learn,
I believe it was Miz Johnny who stated that she has heard of someone taking a potted motor and turned it to treadle. To me that is too much work since you can find many a 15 or other machines with external motors out there.

It was a 201 turned into a hand crank.

vintagemotif 02-15-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Hi Luv2learn,
I believe it was Miz Johnny who stated that she has heard of someone taking a potted motor and turned it to treadle. To me that is too much work since you can find many a 15 or other machines with external motors out there.

It was a 201 turned into a hand crank.

That makes more sense. Thanks!

kwendt 02-15-2011 02:49 PM

Yes, I'd like to find a 301 just to have one and try it out. If you see a brown old timey type suitcase, look inside! I'd never have guessed there'd be a sewing machine inside!

The 301 in our class was heavier and bigger than the FW's, but not real heavy like most old Singers. I think the difference in weight between the FW and 301 is less than 5 lbs.

Nancy

Nancy Here is one with suitcase that someone is asking $175. Too cute! And bit high in price for me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2210026806.html

I think there is a 'suitcase' mocha 301 on shopgoodwill.com right now. I was thinking of bidding on it... but I still think I can get my MIL's machine to come live with me someday (I hope to heck she doesn't charge ME $175). The 301, is like 16lbs and has a convenient carry handle. I love it. Glenn, I'm with you... FW's just don't do it for me, I like the heft and versitility of the 301 better, so far.

kwendt 02-15-2011 02:54 PM

By the way... I know that EVERYONE on this thread is wondering..... DID Kim win the Ebay Auction for the white 201k?

The answer is....

No... Kim did not. Kim dropped out of the running at $115. The machine sold for OVER $400!!! LOL!

So now... Billy, VM, Brenda, Nancy, etc.... which one of YOU bought the thing???? LOL I wanna know!

<munch, munch.... homemade donuts are delicious! Thanks.>