Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
A friend asked me to take a look at her Grandma's old 99k singer. It had no cabinet or case and my husband made a box for it.

My question is this - I am usually really good with machines but I CAN NOT get this thing to sew!! It stitches lovely on top but the underside is a dissaster - I tried the tension, top and bottom and a new needle (130/705 system - is that OK?) - still bad. I also tried the needle foot pressure as it was screwed way up higher than I have seen before - it did seem to improve a little - but just when I thought the stitching was improving (still bad) the thread would jump out of the tension mechanism.....

I have a feeling the top tension is not working, the machine is in good clean condition and sounds ok when it is running......

Any ideas guys?

Hi Rebecca,
I looked at your blog. Your work is beautiful! I'm looking forward to reading and seeing photos on your major renovation of that cute home of yours once you have that section up on your blog.

I can't help you. All I would do is keep playing with different settings. Do you have a manual for it? If not here is one: http://www.scribd.com/doc/5553830/Si...al-Class-9999K

Make sure you have the needle in correctly, flat side pointing correctly and you thread it correctly too.

Greetings from warm sunny California.

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I posted this in the Main forum & only have a few replies, so thought I would present the question to the Vintage machine veterans:

Singer 15-91 vs Singer 301?
If you had the opportunity to choose between these 2 machines, which would you most likely choose for the purpose of FMQ? I have been looking for a vintage machine to use specifically for FMQ. I already have a 403 and a Featherweight for piecing, so I really am zeroing in on the best machine for FMQ. Now I find out that I may have the chance to choose between the two. A friend has a 15-91 that she wants me to take & use indefinitely. I also got a lead on a 301 in good shape & good price. What do you think? Pros/cons of each for FMQ?

Is this friend giving you the machine for free? If so, there is your answer. You have a machine for classes, the FW.

purplefiend 02-07-2011 11:29 AM

Singer 15-91 vs Singer 301?
If you had the opportunity to choose between these 2 machines, which would you most likely choose for the purpose of FMQ? I have been looking for a vintage machine to use specifically for FMQ. I already have a 403 and a Featherweight for piecing, so I really am zeroing in on the best machine for FMQ. Now I find out that I may have the chance to choose between the two. A friend has a 15-91 that she wants me to take & use indefinitely. I also got a lead on a 301 in good shape & good price. What do you think? Pros/cons of each for FMQ?[/quote]

I would go for the 15-91, have tried both machines for FMQ and much prefer the 15-91. I have a 15-90(has the motor hanging off the back of the machine) , I've quilted quite a few
quilts with mine and it does a nice job. I didn't have much success FMQ with the 301, I use that for piecing quilts; I had a hard time finding a darning foot that would work right for the 301.
The 15-91 will use a low shank darning foot and other low shank attachments, the 301 needs a slant shank darning foot and attachments.
Sharon W.

purplefiend 02-07-2011 11:40 AM

A friend asked me to take a look at her Grandma's old 99k singer. It had no cabinet or case and my husband made a box for it.

My question is this - I am usually really good with machines but I CAN NOT get this thing to sew!! It stitches lovely on top but the underside is a dissaster - I tried the tension, top and bottom and a new needle (130/705 system - is that OK?) - still bad. I also tried the needle foot pressure as it was screwed way up higher than I have seen before - it did seem to improve a little - but just when I thought the stitching was improving (still bad) the thread would jump out of the tension mechanism.....

I have a feeling the top tension is not working, the machine is in good clean condition and sounds ok when it is running......

Any ideas guys?

How do you have the needle in? The 99k needs for the needle flat to the right and threads left to right.

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 11:47 AM

Yep needle flat to right and threading her left right.

Boo hoo - hoped someone would tell me something fab!!

I checked the threading on a manual online.

chris_quilts 02-07-2011 11:54 AM

This may not be it but have you cleaned out the bobbin area? Delinted, debugged and whatever else may be residing there. I had a similar situation and once all the old lint and mummified bugs were cleaned out and all was oiled, the machine sewed beautifully for me. Other than that, no other suggestions.

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
This may not be it but have you cleaned out the bobbin area? Delinted, debugged and whatever else may be residing there. I had a similar situation and once all the old lint and mummified bugs were cleaned out and all was oiled, the machine sewed beautifully for me. Other than that, no other suggestions.

Actually there is one thing I forgot to say - there is a little red piece of gunky felt in there - next to the little button you press to make the bobbin jump out. I tired getting it out and decided it bellonged there - what do you think? - everything else is cleaned up and oiled??

purplefiend 02-07-2011 12:06 PM

Yep needle flat to right and threading her left right.

Boo hoo - hoped someone would tell me something fab!!

I checked the threading on a manual online.

Do you have the bobbin in correctly? That makes a difference too. Also make sure that you've got the bobbin case threaded correctly.
Sharon W.

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 12:09 PM

I think so - any tips?

does the 99k bobbin have holes in it?

The one in the machine is a blank with no holes (I use Bernina's and its years since I used a singer!! - my vinage ones are for looking at!!!)

Glenn 02-07-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Actually there is one thing I forgot to say - there is a little red piece of gunky felt in there - next to the little button you press to make the bobbin jump out. I tired getting it out and decided it bellonged there - what do you think? - everything else is cleaned up and oiled??

That red felt should be there, you put a drop of oil on it to lub the bobbin race. I will post the info on the refinishing the cabinets tonight. By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn