Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

FarmStitcher 02-23-2011 06:09 AM

Big hugs to all those with quilting wounds. Even a paper cut hurts like crazy! :cry:

HisPatchwork 02-23-2011 06:19 AM

FarmStitcher, she is beautiful! I would love to have a Redeye with treadle follow me home someday, they are so pretty. Mine is a Sphinx. I loved taking my old ugly cabinet and refinishing it. I also have loved to see the irons and machine shine after cleaning them up!

BoJangles 02-23-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by milp04

Hi Nancy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. From one who has had two fingers caught in a lawn mower blade I know it can be very sore, especially when bumping it.

Here are some suggestions as to what my treatment involved. First I was told to soak my fingers twice daily in clear water. I had 60-100 stitches in a 1 inch square area of two fingers though. Keep plenty of ointment on the cut, adding to it throughout the day, then wrap up. I used clear gauze then the stretchy wrap. I do not have any scars on either of these fingers. Good luck as your finger heals.

Pam M

Wow, Pam (60-100 stiiches in a square inch) this is some very good information for all of us that use those wicked Rotary Cutters!

I am glad it worked out for you, and hopefully I won't have a scar either. Maybe, we should all bookmark this page for the future because another of us will one day - I am sure - do just what I did and cut themselves pretty deep with one of those famous rotary blades.

Thank you
Nancy

sewbizgirl 02-23-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all,
Completely off previous topics, but I need a quick answer. Can I use Kroil to oil a stagnant machine, just like I would use regular sewing machine oil? and are they interchangeable, can i use it instead of of plain singer oil?
Thanks, playing with my new/old Necchi:)
Jane

I thought Kroil was more like a penetrant... like Liquid Wrench? It should work well to help free things up. After that I think I would use regular sewing machine oil.

Anyone else know more than I do?

FarmStitcher 02-23-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
FarmStitcher, she is beautiful! I would love to have a Redeye with treadle follow me home someday, they are so pretty. Mine is a Sphinx. I loved taking my old ugly cabinet and refinishing it. I also have loved to see the irons and machine shine after cleaning them up!

Thanks Rajean, I love the Sphinx pattern too. I used to redo furniture, but now I don't have the time or energy! That's not to say I would pass up something rare because of the cabinet, though.
Linda

:-D

Lostn51 02-23-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Hi all,
Completely off previous topics, but I need a quick answer. Can I use Kroil to oil a stagnant machine, just like I would use regular sewing machine oil? and are they interchangeable, can i use it instead of of plain singer oil?
Jane

I thought Kroil was more like a penetrant... like Liquid Wrench? It should work well to help free things up. After that I think I would use regular sewing machine oil.

Nope you are right just use it and a little Kerosene in the oil holes to penetrate the rust and then you use sewing machine oil after that.

Billy

kwendt 02-23-2011 08:49 AM

Hi all,
Jane

Nope. I was sitting here wondering what Kroil was just now. lol. Sorry... I'm of no help here!

kwendt 02-23-2011 08:52 AM

[quote=Lostn51]

I thought Kroil was more like a penetrant... like Liquid Wrench? It should work well to help free things up. After that I think I would use regular sewing machine oil. quote]

Nope you are right just use it and a little Kerosene in the oil holes to penetrate the rust and then you use sewing machine oil after that. Billy

In a follow up to Janet's original question. Billy, I assume that when we use a penetrant oil/kero in the oil holes... we should run it out on the machine? (by run it out, I mean literally run the machine until the oil works through and out of the system... so to speak). Right? Then/after put sewing machine oil in the holes and run that into the machine?

HisPatchwork 02-23-2011 10:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ready to post some updates. Tried to post some befores, but something is not letting me get to them. Not sure what page I originally posted them on. {back in the 400's I think}

SERATA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125178[/ATTACH]

partially cleaned case for the SERATA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125565[/ATTACH]

Singer cleaned up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125746[/ATTACH]

Even had gold paint!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126146[/ATTACH]

side view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126316[/ATTACH]

Lostn51 02-23-2011 10:05 AM

[quote=kwendt]

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I thought Kroil was more like a penetrant... like Liquid Wrench? It should work well to help free things up. After that I think I would use regular sewing machine oil. quote]

Nope you are right just use it and a little Kerosene in the oil holes to penetrate the rust and then you use sewing machine oil after that. Billy

In a follow up to Janet's original question. Billy, I assume that when we use a penetrant oil/kero in the oil holes... we should run it out on the machine? (by run it out, I mean literally run the machine until the oil works through and out of the system... so to speak). Right? Then/after put sewing machine oil in the holes and run that into the machine?

If you use Kerosene for the chaser it will evaporate after it has diluted the penetrant. then you hit it with some sewing machine oil and run it out when it is running freely with you turning just the handwheel with you hand. If it was locked up it will take a bit to get one unstuck.

Billy