Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

redbugsullivan 03-03-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Tonight I got a magnifying glass and looked to see what needles I had. They were Schmetz! They came in the tube marked Boye 4, but were Schmetz needles! Just goes to show us that we better be careful what we are buying off of E-bay! I found one needle marked New Home - a longer than Schmetz needle - and now my T No 3 is sewing.

Nancy

I just bought a bunch of needles from ebay and like you found some were not what I expected them to be. One even had 3 needles, with one completely broken. Now I measure before I insert. Wise words indeed!!

vintagemotif 03-03-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by JaKnits
Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.

Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.

I found her videos to be very helpful! I followed the one on winding a shuttle bobbin since there was nobody around to show me how. I was extremely happy when she gave the tip at the end on if the winder tends to wind on one side then bypass this by just using you hand as the winder guide. My machine kept winding more to one side, no matter what I tried to do to make adjustments. So, I now wind my shuttle bobbins with the hand method that she presented, and the result is an even and tightly wound bobbin, which helps in even stitching.

vintagemotif 03-03-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Brenda

Brenda, you are quite welcome. Everyone on this site tries their best to help each of us. I don't know what I would have done without this site when I started my vintage addiction. With the help of all of you and this great shop, it has been a really fun journey for all of us vintage machine addicts!

Nancy

Nancy, I feel the same way. Since I too am new to the vintage addiction, I have found this site to be very helpful and educational. I went past my fear of purchasing a non Singer after seeing gorgeous machines that other posters shared with us here. I figured the worse that could happen to that non Singer that I rescued is it doesn't work or I break it, and either way it sits on a shelf looking pretty. At least I kept it from going to the dump. I have fun seeing everyone's vintage machines here. Thank you all for sharing!

irishrose 03-03-2011 08:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hootannie (page 757) couldn't transfer her pics. Let's see if this works. Billy or others, it's a 15-90 she needs parts for.

Hootannie, I hope you don't mind. These guys love pictures.

don't know why the pic is so big
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144469[/ATTACH]

Hootannie's 15-90
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144470[/ATTACH]

luv2learn 03-03-2011 08:18 PM

Hootannie,

OMG she's gorgeous. . . she has almost every feature of my dream machine. . . . . Congratulations! Don't think I could turn her down on my search for the perfect one!!

QuiltnCowgirl 03-03-2011 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's pics of my new girl. My friend has generously given her to me on an open ended "use her as long as you want" loan.

Singer 15-91 (AH676320 6/21/1948 Elizabeth NJ)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146847[/ATTACH]

Singer 15-91 (AH676320 6/21/1948 Elizabeth NJ)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146848[/ATTACH]

KatFish 03-03-2011 08:42 PM

Thank you Billy & Nancy for letting me know what to use on my pitman.

QuiltnCowgirl 03-03-2011 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's my other girls. The 403 was my Mom's. I inherited it when she passed away in 2007. It means a lot to me in ways I can't begin to describe to have it and be sewing with it. She's named Nancy, after my Mom, of course.

The Featherweight was given to me by my parents Christmas 1972 when I was 12 yrs old. I've lugged her all over the place the last 30+ years, but knew not to ever get rid of her. She's named with my childhood nickname, Sheri.

"Nancy" Singer 403a (NB979840 1956 Anderson SC)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148721[/ATTACH]

"Sheri" Singer 221-1 (AH209077 8/19/1947 Elizabeth NJ)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148722[/ATTACH]

luv2learn 03-03-2011 11:34 PM

Quiltncowgirl,

You have a nice collection going there and they certainly have very special histories. Good luck on the loan and congratulations!

tomilu 03-04-2011 05:02 AM

I have listed some Singer parts and Necchi parts on the free section.