Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 05-23-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Yes the finger was out of the notch. I took off one of the little square things to move the finger back in place and it works just fine now! Miriam was such a big help. I knew I'd have to remove something...there was no way it could go back in. Now I'd like to know how on earth it came out.

Randa, I am glad you got your FW straightened out!

Now, there is still someone on here with a FW that won't pick up the bobbin thread - Trish is that you? Anyway, it is probably the needle that is inserted wrong or threaded wrong. Take your needle out and put in a new needle with the flat side to the left - the same way your throat plate looks with the flat side on the left! Thread the needle from right to left - inside to outside if that is easier to remember.

Nancy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. .

The bobbin itself could be the problem. I hate those Torch & Throw machines too. But the bobbins get nicked up or warped or what ever - try a brand new bobbin in there and see if it works. The 600's weren't too bad if you can get the bobbin to work.

Geeze, Monica I sure can hear your frustration! I have avoided those Touch and Swear - 'literally' machines since I heard how bad they are! I saw one in our repair shop having its feed dogs replaced one day -- because the feed dogs were PLASTIC and all worn smooth!

Where is Miz Johnny? She has said in the past that the 600's were good machines, so it must be the 700's that went to the dogs?

Nancy

tomilu 05-23-2011 05:31 AM

I certainly pray none of our folks live in the tornado-damaged areas. We will be watching the skies today here in KS. Can't for the life of me figure out how to get all the machines down in the fraidy hole.

lyndajean 05-23-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by lyndajean
This belonged to my great aunt and it was given to me when she passed away over 20yrs ago. Back then I had no interest in sewing. I just took her out, and thanks to some help from Billy she is up and running!

The copyright on the manual is 1957....I dont see a year on the machine itself

Did you figure out how to date the machine? Go to the Singer site to date it or just give us the serial number and one of us can date your machine. There won't be a year on the machine, but the serial number will tell you the information.

Nancy

The serial number is NA626209

BoJangles 05-23-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Vintage, I like how you put the bindings on. Will have to try that would be soooo much faster than by hand. I would never try this before because I was afraid it would have one big pucker at the end. Oh! and your quilt is pretty too!
The scout will really love it I'm sure.

I really like the way Monica puts her bindings on too. I did 5 queen/king sized quilts a couple years ago for Christmas presents. I worked on those quilts all year - getting up at 4 am just to get them all done. Well, I got them done but it was like two weeks before Christmas - I didn't have time to hand bind, which I have always done! I took a class at our local quilt shop on how to put your bindings on with the walking zig zag and monofilament thread. You have to shorten the walking zig zag so instead of a sharp zig it makes more of a loop, loosen your tension because of the monofilament thread and sew! I have used this method ever since on all my projects -- love it. The quilt looks really nice and you don't see the thread just the little half moon, which looks nice!

Nancy

lyndajean 05-23-2011 05:37 AM

This belonged to my great aunt and it was given to me when she passed away over 20yrs ago. Back then I had no interest in sewing. I just took her out, and thanks to some help from Billy she is up and running!

Did you figure out how to date the machine? Go to the Singer site to date it or just give us the serial number and one of us can date your machine. There won't be a year on the machine, but the serial number will tell you the information.

Nancy

I just went to the singer site, it said anything that starts with NA was made in 1951.

Lostn51 05-23-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.

I am with you on this one, I have one that I picked up and it is the biggest piece of crap ever. I have already taken a few of the useful parts off of it and I think I am taking it up to the country and seeing how it does after running a dozen or so rounds through it from my 45-70!

YouTube video will follow ;)

Billy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 05:39 AM

[quote=lyndajean

The serial number is NA626209[/quote]

The only information the Singer site has on the NA series is that it is a 1951 model!

Nancy

Whoops I see you figured out how to get this information already!

lyndajean 05-23-2011 05:43 AM

Nancy

The only information the Singer site has on the NA series is that it is a 1951 model!

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! Well gotta tear myself away from this board and get my 3 mile run in before I change my mind! :lol:

Kathie S. 05-23-2011 05:45 AM

But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys --Nancy

For Billy we would make an exception to any rule that says no men. Matter of fact we might even fight over who gets to sit by him. :lol: Lets not fight We will save a three seats and he can sit in the middle of both of us. I have two or three machines that he can work on. I am sure that Loretta can come up with a few also, how about you? Maybe a dozen or two. Still want to come Billy? lol Kathie