Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 05-05-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok remember this subject posted a while back? Well, I tried holding onto the fabric to stitch in place and my 127 is tougher than I am -- it won -- I couldn't keep the fabric from advancing so no stitching in place to lock the stitches!!!! What I did do is start stitching, stitch 4 or 5 stitches, then go back and start again stitching over the 1st 4 or 5 stitches! That works. Those stitches are set - they won't pull out! I was putting the border on a baby quilt so I wanted the borders to hold the quilt square. I know you can always turn around and go back over your stitches to create a 'back stitch' effect, but this is easier -- quilts are just too large to try turning them around to get the back tack! Anyone else have a better idea how to get a machine with no reverse to lock those stitches without turning an entire quilt around to go back or turning the stitch regulator down to try and stitch in place, which doesn't work real well on the 127? Nancy

Wow... I must have a lazy 127! I best oil it some more. Leaders and enders, then. I wonder what others use?

Pins n' Ndls 05-05-2011 07:45 PM

Kathie So Sorry for your loss .

JaneK 05-06-2011 02:45 AM

Kathie,
So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm keeping you & your family in my prayers.
Jane

BoJangles 05-06-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Taffkat
Billy

I HOPE that I have found the right place to post this and include photos.

I have a Drawing Room Treadle from England that is missing just 1 drawer handle. Can you point me in a direction that I might get lucky to find one??!!

I CAN get you better photos if you need but you might be able to tell enough from these photos.

Here's hoping!!!!

THANKS in advance!

Kathy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kathy, I am not Billy but was wondering if this post got answered? Those drawer handles are going to be very hard to find. Have you checked e-bay for treadle cabinet parts?

By the way, I love your machines, I have the same Model 28 you have - it looks like you have two of them, one a hand crank and the one in the beautiful parlor cabinet (Kathy's cabinet here on page 1015)? I also have a cabinet almost identical to yours except my drawer pulls are different. Look at page 352 here to see my Model 128 in the almost identical cabinet!

By the way, beautiful machines and cabinet!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-06-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I forgot one more thing. What is the ratio between salt and vinegar to get the rust off the slideplate and some of the extra feet?

Kas, I haven't heard of 'salt and vinegar.' Does anyone here use salt and vinegar? Does it work for rust? What ratio do you use? I am curious too!

If this was answered, I am sorry to ask again! I don't remember this being answered, but I have been scanning pages just trying to keep up with you guys!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-06-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Yes, it was my Singer Redeye problems posted on page 867, (can you believe not just 30 pages back, but about ONE HUNDRED and thirty!!) I tried everything everyone here suggested with no luck yet. However, in re-reading the posts just now with your reminder to jog me, It looks like I never did post the photos showing the feed dog area that you were asking about. I got so discouraged about it, I told my husband I will just sit her on a shelf and look for another redhead with all working parts to put into the cabinet. But in reality I would love to eventually be able to gain enough knowledge to resolve the problem myself.

....... something to do with the presser bar regulator and the pressure foot lifter; . . . adjustments to the stitch regulator. Brenda

Brenda, you should seriously try adjusting the stitch regulator -- if that stitch regulator is stuck in a very small stitch, the feed dogs are not suppose to advance the fabric. That is the first place I would check, play with that stitch regulator -- oil everything again -- to make sure it is working and you are getting a stitch - not a stitch in place.

Nancy

BoJangles 05-06-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
How do you like your 306K and can it be treadled? Also what class of attachments does it take or does it have it's own? I'm looking at one and trying to decide whether to get it or not. I think it takes special needles and it uses cams. I have an hour before I leave to look at it and would appreciate your input....

Farmstitcher I don't have a 306K, but someone here does I am sure! I hope you get an answer, but sometimes the reason these posts are not answered is because no one here is familar with that particular machine. Like someone a while back wanted some information on a White #8 and I don't believe that got answered either (I couldn't answer that one either as I only have one White Rotary Machine).

Nancy

Ok here is a pretty good review of the 306! http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/3934

It seems it needs a special needle, which is hard to find, but the machine is rated as a powerful machine. Good luck!

Ok, I found some information on White's #8 here as the ISMACS site http://www.ismacs.net/white/white.html

Go down to the last paragraph and it says ...... (not exactly as I have written) White #8 is a Singer Model 27 clone, which was initially manufactured by Domestic! That would make the White #8 a very nice machine!

Nancy

PS I see there was an answer to the 306 question!

BoJangles 05-06-2011 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Quick Questions on SINGER 127s.....

Re: Singer 127 (full size, with ejector on the shuttle)...

Q1: Research shows they take 'long bobbins'. How 'long' are they? Can anyone measure one to tell me what it is? I have the bullet thingy, but I've never seen the bobbins... don't know how they go in the bullet, etc. Clueless. lol.

Q2: In purchasing additional/correct 127 'long' bobbins; can I buy NEW ones? Or is it like the old 66's where the machines are finicky and only work well or only will wind them... if they are the vintage/antique ones???

Billy... odd ball question: I've got TWO, full sized, 14" x 8" bed, 127's - but both are electrified (belted motors) and in SQUARE cloth top cases.

According to sewmacs, the full sized 127's were usually treadled. It was the 128s (3/4 sized machines) that were usually electrified, or cranked and in round (post box) wood cases. The S/N's on one is G0382989.

My 127 shuttle bobbin measures almost exactly 3 mm or 1 1/8"s. Are you sure your SN is right? The shuttle bobbins just drop in the shuttle and you thread it like any bobbin. I have not tried the new bobbins in my 127.

Nancy

Well, as you all can see I have been up since 4 am so I thought I'd try to answer some questions. One of our chihuahuas is having heart problems. He is getting weaker and having a hard time breathing so I have been trying to comfort him all night. It is very hard when you love these little guys so much!

misseva 05-06-2011 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by kwendt
Cool! Obviously I need to be on the lookout for a Free. <grin> Actually, I should prob. mention that when you pull on the fabric, don't pull so strongly that you bend the needle out of alignment with the needleplate hole! lol. Just enough... and not too much... is the trick. (okay, ask me how I know this!!!! lol)

Ok remember this subject posted a while back? Well, I tried holding onto the fabric to stitch in place and my 127 is tougher than I am -- it won -- I couldn't keep the fabric from advancing so no stitching in place to lock the stitches!!!! What I did do is start stitching, stitch 4 or 5 stitches, then go back and start again stitching over the 1st 4 or 5 stitches! That works. Those stitches are set - they won't pull out! I was putting the border on a baby quilt so I wanted the borders to hold the quilt square. I know you can always turn around and go back over your stitches to create a 'back stitch' effect, but this is easier -- quilts are just too large to try turning them around to get the back tack! Anyone else have a better idea how to get a machine with no reverse to lock those stitches without turning an entire quilt around to go back or turning the stitch regulator down to try and stitch in place, which doesn't work real well on the 127?

Nancy

You might try turning your stitch regulator to zero stitches or as my old singer has to a "fine" stitch which will stitch in place then lengthen the stitch again.

BoJangles 05-06-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
You might try turning your stitch regulator to zero stitches or as my old singer has to a "fine" stitch which will stitch in place then lengthen the stitch again.

Miseva, that is the way I did all my piecing on my Free company treadle, but the 127 is a little harder to do that while stitching! At least for me! The stitch regulator on the Free was a slide so it was just like using a back tack slide to get that machine to stitch in place -- with the 127 being a knob, I find that difficult to do while still trying to maintain a straight seam!

Nancy