Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Mornigstar 05-05-2011 06:01 PM

Wrote this hrs ago but computer went off line as it was sending so I waited to see if letter showed.

After cleaning my 128 last night got out my 2000 Calendar
from England showing antiques. That man had 350 sewing machines. I don't have any room for more.

While in store saw an old machine -owner says it wouldn't sew anymore.I looked at hubby and said my friends could get it working ( 3/4 size ???) and looking pretty. He favored
new stuff.

Hubby broke leg on an extra metal sewing machine bottom today --how come it's survives 101 yrs until he helps me put a wooden table top on it. I could have screamed but it was not the time to complain.

When cabinet for 128 is refinished old stuff will be around it --including me.Friend bought me needle pkg before I had machine.

Glenn 05-05-2011 06:05 PM

Kathy, so sorry for your loss, we are thinking of you and your family. glenn

chris_quilts 05-05-2011 06:16 PM

Kathie; Sorry to hear of your loss. You will continue to be in my prayers.

HanNatNana 05-05-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am liking the newlyweds also!! Mr & Mrs Two Spools, what a cute couple they are!

Well I have just pulled out of a crisis today, my laptop decided to take a dump on me and I have never made a back up DVD yet. It only took from 6am until 3pm this afternoon to get the darn thing booted up. I did 4 system restores on the thing and liked to never found a date that it would work on. But it all happened after I installed my firewall updates. Needless to say I was really scared about loosing my research and all of my records about vintage sewing machines.

But I am good now I just hope I will not have to fight this thing again!

Billy

Oh Billy, I understand your frustration because I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and while my lappie is up and running again it's not 'quite' right...some days perfect, but other days gives problems. This all started after updates too! What I did was search for problems with that particular update and found I wasn't Robinson Crusoe and also found recommendations of the best way to get it running again...before I did a full restore!!

While I backed up my stuff it was about a year ago and I always take a backup of the backup...to be sure, to be sure!!! LOL Had a HDD fail some years ago that was my archive HDD.

Hope you get it all sorted real soon
Bronwyn ;-)

Lostn51 05-05-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well I have just pulled out of a crisis today, my laptop decided to take a dump on me and I have never made a back up DVD yet. It only took from 6am until 3pm this afternoon to get the darn thing booted up. I did 4 system restores on the thing and liked to never found a date that it would work on. But it all happened after I installed my firewall updates. Needless to say I was really scared about loosing my research and all of my records about vintage sewing machines.
Billy

Billy.... dude... "here's your sign"..... !

GO get an external hard drive.... a FreeAgent for example. You can get TBs for like a 100 bucks. Then usb it in and backup your stuff. Do it now...

I just placed n order for another external HD from TigerDirect.com. I have one for my Home comp (all of my movies and entertainment goes through it) but I got a 2TB Seagate for this one. What scared me was that I dont have any CD's for the programs and Windows 7. So if I lost everything I would have to had gone and buy the operating system along with a bunch of other programs that I run and use. Its bad enough I have to buy a $100 key card for my Office 2010. :roll:

Oh and I already backed up the OS and all the drivers so I am good there ;)

Billy

Kitzone 05-05-2011 06:53 PM

Speaking of backing up computers. Probably like many others I have ton's of irreplaceable info on my computer and currently use an off-site backup provider (Mozy). I was wondering if this is the best option or if an external drive would be more secure? Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on either option?

Judy

HanNatNana 05-05-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Speaking of backing up computers. Probably like many others I have ton's of irreplaceable info on my computer and currently use an off-site backup provider (Mozy). I was wondering if this is the best option or if an external drive would be more secure? Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on either option?

Judy

Judy, my concern is that the off-site provider might vanish and so would my backup. I know some people think they are great, but I'm hesitant and why I have several HDD's as my personal archive system.

Bronwyn ;-)

Lostn51 05-05-2011 07:02 PM

I am like you to me its easier to buy a $90 external HD and save it there where I know its safe and I do not have to worry about it coming up missing. And I will be keeping it in my safe which is fire proof so if something bad happens then I will still have it.

Billy

BoJangles 05-05-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Cool! Obviously I need to be on the lookout for a Free. <grin> Actually, I should prob. mention that when you pull on the fabric, don't pull so strongly that you bend the needle out of alignment with the needleplate hole! lol. Just enough... and not too much... is the trick. (okay, ask me how I know this!!!! lol)

Ok remember this subject posted a while back? Well, I tried holding onto the fabric to stitch in place and my 127 is tougher than I am -- it won -- I couldn't keep the fabric from advancing so no stitching in place to lock the stitches!!!! What I did do is start stitching, stitch 4 or 5 stitches, then go back and start again stitching over the 1st 4 or 5 stitches! That works. Those stitches are set - they won't pull out! I was putting the border on a baby quilt so I wanted the borders to hold the quilt square. I know you can always turn around and go back over your stitches to create a 'back stitch' effect, but this is easier -- quilts are just too large to try turning them around to get the back tack! Anyone else have a better idea how to get a machine with no reverse to lock those stitches without turning an entire quilt around to go back or turning the stitch regulator down to try and stitch in place, which doesn't work real well on the 127?

Nancy

BoJangles 05-05-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I just saw a White Sewing machine No 8. It is a shuttle machine. Not in a cabinet. Is it worth the $25.00 they are asking? The Motor is there,but not the foot controls. Seems to have the shuttle in place and pretty good decals.

Thanks,

Quiltdoctor, did you get this machine?

Nancy