Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 05-07-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Billy, I went to pick up the second machine ( Singer 15) and I have to wait a few more days--it's still buried under a heap of stuff in the store and when I went back to my car there was a Singer 403A sitting as cute as a button on the front seat. She looks pretty good for only $15. I need to get some grease?for the gears or can I use something else. I haven't plugged her in yet. The handwheel when turning about 3/4 of the way sort of makes a grunting not smooth cycle.. After cleaning her up she needs oiling and grease...that's why I need the grease. Where can I get it and what is it's proper name. Can you help with this info? Photos will be posted tomorrow. She was in a cabinet but when I lifted the top the inside was all plywood and had to be unscrewed to lift the machine up..so I trashed the cabinet. Anne

TriFlow is what I use if I do not have any Singer brand grease. You can find it at NAPA and if not there SewingPartsOnline has it. Once you get some grease on the gears and oil in her she should be good as new!!

You have a knack at finding all of the good deals you know that? Oh and the 99 that you gave me is now a handcrank and sews like a dream!!! Everyone that sees it always tries to beat me out of it but its going nowhere!

Billy

Honchey 05-07-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Billy, I went to pick up the second machine ( Singer 15) and I have to wait a few more days--it's still buried under a heap of stuff in the store and when I went back to my car there was a Singer 403A sitting as cute as a button on the front seat. She looks pretty good for only $15. I need to get some grease?for the gears or can I use something else. I haven't plugged her in yet. The handwheel when turning about 3/4 of the way sort of makes a grunting not smooth cycle.. After cleaning her up she needs oiling and grease...that's why I need the grease. Where can I get it and what is it's proper name. Can you help with this info? Photos will be posted tomorrow. She was in a cabinet but when I lifted the top the inside was all plywood and had to be unscrewed to lift the machine up..so I trashed the cabinet. Anne

TriFlow is what I use if I do not have any Singer brand grease. You can find it at NAPA and if not there SewingPartsOnline has it. Once you get some grease on the gears and oil in her she should be good as new!!

You have a knack at finding all of the good deals you know that? Oh and the 99 that you gave me is now a handcrank and sews like a dream!!! Everyone that sees it always tries to beat me out of it but its going nowhere!

Billy

I'm glad you're having fun with it!! Anne

tomilu 05-08-2011 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
and my 4 "new" machines are out in the car, but we are too tired tonight to bring them into the house.....still have to figure out a spot for them...

Do I know that feeling!! Happy Mothers Day, Mary
Tommie

tomilu 05-08-2011 04:20 AM

So DH and I have decided we need a sales tax # to order parts. My parts stash is dwindling fast and we need gears, etc. and other parts. So my problem is what to call our little venture. Not being creative in that realm, I could use some suggestions on this beautiful Mothers Day.
Tommie

Lostn51 05-08-2011 06:59 AM

Happy Mothers Day everyone!!

I hope that all of the moms here in the shop have the best Mothers day ever and you get lots of love and appreciation!

I know that I love and appreciate everything you all do here, and if it were not for all of you this shop would not be the fun place it is today! So all of you get great big hugs from the VSMS!! :D

Billy

mpeters1200 05-08-2011 09:03 AM

Is it the ISMACs site that you can look up the age of your machine by serial number?

emmah 05-08-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
So DH and I have decided we need a sales tax # to order parts. My parts stash is dwindling fast and we need gears, etc. and other parts. So my problem is what to call our little venture. Not being creative in that realm, I could use some suggestions on this beautiful Mothers Day.
Tommie

How about "Grandma's machine shop"

vintagemotif 05-08-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Happy Mothers Day everyone!!

I hope that all of the moms here in the shop have the best Mothers day ever and you get lots of love and appreciation!

I know that I love and appreciate everything you all do here, and if it were not for all of you this shop would not be the fun place it is today! So all of you get great big hugs from the VSMS!! :D

Billy

Thank you Billy and Happy Mother's Day to you and everyone else here!

I'm enjoying my Mother's Day. I told my husband that he makes a wonderful wife. Well, I'm enjoying a relaxing day of just piecing the Boy Scout quilt top.

tomilu 05-08-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by emmah

Originally Posted by tomilu
Tommie

How about "Grandma's machine shop"

Great idea. DH's idea is "Redington's Relics" Hmmm, him or me??? :roll:

shelburn 05-08-2011 10:23 AM

I have what looks like an early New Home treadle machine. Can't find any model numbers, just patent dates up to 1879 and a number below that which is 300116. The attachment Box with it says "New Home Manufacturing Co., Orange, Mass. U.S.A. All the attachments look to be with it and it is in a lovely cabinet. Bought it about 35 years ago from a lady I helped move. Gave her $25 mainly because I liked the cabinet and the brass draw pulls. Has seven drawers but is missing the coffin top. Would like to know how old it is and if I can get a manual for it. Some of the attachments are a complete puzzle! Have pictures in camera but not into the computer yet. Will send some in a later post.