Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 05-07-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I have come seeking help and am gonna be reading this thread while I wait as it sure is a doosey! Hubby got me this for Mothers Day and I am beyond thrilled with it but have no info or ideas about any of it. I have found very little about it actually. I do know the belt is broke, it was in one of the drawers. But, it does have 4 of those long bobbins, and the shuttle is intact and had another one in it. She sure needs a ton of TLC,

Wow...that's a machine I've never seen. Great cabinet and great decals. Very pretty. Billy is our resident treadle expert. You'll want to read anything he posts! There are actually quite a few treadle experts here. I am not one of them! There are two treadle website/help groups... one is the big treadleon site, the other is the treadle lady, but I don't know if she's kept her page up, moved it or what. Can anyone advise? The treadle lady had a GREAT manual for how to set up treadles of various types, how to clean, oil, use, etc.

Happy mother's day for sure! BTW, the little tyke holding onto the machine is pretty cute, too! <wink> Welcome to the VSMS thread! kim

kwendt 05-07-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Treadlep, I think we decided your Richmond is another little National like my Leader. Here is ther tension threading page from my manual. You can zoom in to read it - 150% or 200% works for me. It's a scan of a copy - I don't like to handle the original too much.

Invaluable! Thanks for posting this. I don't have one of these machines yet.... but I'm holding onto this chart/page, for when I do! kim

kwendt 05-07-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I oil mine after every quilt I make, that is plenty for the old girls. I dont think you can over oil one but honestly there is no reason to waste oil. Billy

That's good advice there. :-D. And actually, Billy you may know this.... is there any way to actually CLEAN the felt wicks or replace them? That blackside 15-91 of mine has the top felt wick (up over the needle bar) all dirty/nasty. I've cleaned a bunch of old grime, grit and some sort of old sticky/tacky stuff off the rest of the machine (old smoke residue?), and that felt wick was/is coated too. It's the only one that was totally exposed to whatever conditions the rest of the machine was in. I have not reassembled it yet, nor put oil in that wick... I don't want to put oil in and have it carry more grime into the metal gearing/needle bar carriage.

miriam 05-07-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt

I oil mine after every quilt I make, that is plenty for the old girls. I dont think you can over oil one but honestly there is no reason to waste oil. Billy

That's good advice there. :-D. And actually, Billy you may know this.... is there any way to actually CLEAN the felt wicks or replace them? That blackside 15-91 of mine has the top felt wick (up over the needle bar) all dirty/nasty. I've cleaned a bunch of old grime, grit and some sort of old sticky/tacky stuff off the rest of the machine (old smoke residue?), and that felt wick was/is coated too. It's the only one that was totally exposed to whatever conditions the rest of the machine was in. I have not reassembled it yet, nor put oil in that wick... I don't want to put oil in and have it carry more grime into the metal gearing/needle bar carriage.

I have an industrial machine (Singer 241) that sets in an oil bath - well it dried up - big hard balls of oil EVERYWHERE... The wicks were STIFF with dried up oil. That machine was locked up tight. I got some xylene and painted it on over and over... took about a half cup to get all the hard oil out of the machine. The wicks are soft now. If they harden I'll brush them down again with the xylene. In this machine's case, I wasn't worried about any paint damage. However you might want to be very careful with paint on something pretty. You want to use the xylene outdoors on a windy day. It is found in most paint departments - might be used in brake cleaner or something you can spray on. Avoid if you are pregnant... 'o/

sew wishful 05-07-2011 07:56 AM

I'm probably in big trouble here...yesterday I went to city wide garage sales and found a coffin top Singer and today a friend is at an auction bidding on a treadle for me! It's a 1905 Singer...the coffin top, I'm afraid I haven't looked closely at cuz hubby doesn't know about it yet!!! LOL!

Lostn51 05-07-2011 08:30 AM

I would stay away from the xylene because it will kill a finish on a machine. Kerosene is the product I would recommend to do that with. You can replace the wicks in the machine but you will have to use a good wool felt or find the wicking material from an industrial machine repair shop. But if you want you can soak it in kerosene and then replace it and you should be good to go.

Billy

miriam 05-07-2011 08:34 AM

I would stay away from the xylene because it will kill a finish on a machine. Kerosene is the product I would recommend to do that with. You can replace the wicks in the machine but you will have to use a good wool felt or find the wicking material from an industrial machine repair shop. But if you want you can soak it in kerosene and then replace it and you should be good to go.

Billy

Xylene IS bad for the finish but it does dissolve the hard oil beads almost instantly. I also mentioned I wasn't worried about the finish on that machine.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 05-07-2011 09:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Billy.... So visited a Yard Sale ( how many times have you heard that :) ) Noticed this little pretty sitting there, someone mentioned they didn't think it worked. Soooo after a rethread, flipping the needle around, and finding a way to plug it in. Little gummy, but not to bad of a stitch. Think it supprised the sellers, but were glad it went to a Sewer, to be used.

She Worked !!

It is a Riccar Model 040 ?A5 17014 Any info would be helpful.... Thanks

Excuse the Dust !!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194201[/ATTACH]

Was it worth the 5.oo ?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194214[/ATTACH]

jljack 05-07-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Maura
I just won a Singer 201-2 on ebay. I can't copy the picture to show here, but it looks like it is in good condition, the decals are heavy and clear. I have a Pfaff that will sew a good 1/4" seam, but it skips stitches when going over more than two layers of cloth and I'm ready to throw it out the window. I figured that these old machines made many quilts, piecing and quilting, and that is all I really need. I've read reviews that say the 201 is the best machine singer ever made. For $207, that ain't bad (total $246).

Then, I just couldn't stop myself. I kept doing research. I wanted a portable. I now own a 301 which has been serviced, looks real good and cost me $137 (total 167). There were other 301's on ebay which have been bid well over $200, but they did not look as good as the one I won. I admit the Featherweights are prettier, but I think the 301 is a step above the Featherweight, and only 5 pounds heavier.

I now have absolutely NO excuse not to make a dozen quilts this year!

Congratulations Maura!!! You'll love your 301....mine is a little sturdy girl who is again sewing wonderfully straight stitches!!

Lostn51 05-07-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Billy.... So visited a Yard Sale ( how many times have you heard that :) ) Noticed this little pretty sitting there, someone mentioned they didn't think it worked. Soooo after a rethread, flipping the needle around, and finding a way to plug it in. Little gummy, but not to bad of a stitch. Think it supprised the sellers, but were glad it went to a Sewer, to be used.

She Worked !!

It is a Riccar Model 040 ?A5 17014 Any info would be helpful.... Thanks

I think you did very well indeed!! I love the machine and you will see that the Japanese 15's are way better than the Singers. I love Singer like the next guy but the quality of theses machines are hands down the best you have ever seen. For one the hook assembly doesnt rattle in the race, the tolerances are a lot tighter and they were all around made better. Plus you can slap one in a treadle and off you go!

Billy