Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 04-21-2011 05:30 PM

I was given a Necchi that "didn't work", ummm it works fine now that the the miles of thread have been removed from around the inside of the hand wheel and also using the correct
bobbin. I had no idea when the poor machine was last oiled,
amazing what a little oil will do.
It belongs to my daughter's friend, he loves his machine.
Sharon W. in Texas

jpete523 04-21-2011 05:30 PM

My Spartan 192K is in a black plastic base. When you unscrew the base you'll find the serial number on the bottom of the machine. Good luck!

BoJangles 04-21-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewgram1
Hi BoJangles I just found my MIL's Willcox. Jimmy needs someclean-up work and I have yet to find his moter.
He was born July 4, 1871. Paula

Wow, I didn't think machines were powered that old! Please post a picture when you can!

Nancy

BoJangles 04-21-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Weedwoman

I hope that you don't think this is a stupid question, but I noticed in the photos you posted that it looks as though the machine has two shuttles, is this so and why?

Luce321 what machine are you referring to?

Nancy

BoJangles 04-21-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need some help big time. My tension is really bad. The top thread bird nested under neath. I took the machine in to the shop and they adjusted the tension and had a very nice stitch. I came home and the stitch turned bad. The fabric is gathering. When I straighten it out the bobbin thread is laying on the fabric and the top thread is showing a small loop. Any suggestions would be helpful. Kathie

Kathie were you at the shop to see them use the machine to make sure it did work before you brought it home? It must of shaken loose on the way home. It sounds like your top thread tension is too loose and the bobbin/shuttle is too tight. Are you sure the machine is threaded right? The bobbin/shuttle threaded right? Did the needle wiggle loose? Something happened before you got home.

Nancy

BoJangles 04-21-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
The two machines I just brought home are rough. The Spartan is missing it's thread plate and the wiring is scary looking. I can't find a serial number on it. The Singer in the cabinet has a serial number underneath the machine bed, G049713. I think I am either looking it up wrong on singer site or that is not really the serial number. Where else should I look?

Dirty1mom, is your machine a Model 15 made in 1910?

Nancy

Pins n' Ndls 04-21-2011 07:12 PM

Billy, Really sorry about all the problems you are getting hit with ! Sickness, very bad weather..Look at the bright side ( if you can ) you won't be bored. We have a very big, very old tree across the street and there is one long heavy branch aimed at my house...We have had some high winds lately and could have been disaster. Not sure who owns it, the town or the neighbors.

chris_quilts 04-21-2011 07:29 PM

Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.

sewbizgirl 04-21-2011 07:38 PM

I love all the new machines you all are adopting, and Billy-- so sorry about the storm damage. We had bad tornadoes here too, but thankfully, no damage at our place.

I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!

HanNatNana 04-21-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I love all the new machines you all are adopting, and Billy-- so sorry about the storm damage. We had bad tornadoes here too, but thankfully, no damage at our place.

I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!

Did you finish the edges before ruffling? A rolled hem, specially on your overlocker gives a really nice finish. Rayon thread makes it ever nicer!

Many years ago I used to sew for an interior decorator and must have made kilometres of ruffles!! She had a thing for them and therefore attracted customers with similar ideas, but of course she never had to make them...I did!! Funny part was she didn't know about a ruffler foot and thought I was drawing threads my hand, and years later when she found out she was a little put out that I'd been making them much quicker and therefore getting a little more money than she thought she was paying...which by the way as a pittance anyway. Sometimes when you need extra $$$'s you do these things!!

Bronwyn ;-)